9. Tsuzumi Mansion

The house was eerily empty. A ghastly, beating presence casted over every inch of the mansion and similarly dust powdered everything they crossed. The collection of empty jars, scrolls, dim lamps that hung on the entryway ceiling, the hallways and caved wooden planks. "Nezuko!" Zenitsu would yelp at a noise she couldn't hear, and she would sigh soothing him with a maximum of two pats on the head.

"Nezuko! We're in this together right? We'll fight together right?"

"Zenitsu," she said, stopping in her tracks. "I hate to say this, but my legs still haven't fully healed from my last mission. So-"

"Are you kiddin' me?! What'dyoumeanhaven'tfullyhealed?Sothey'rebroken?What'reyouevendoinginthisdamnhousethen!Wehavetogetyououttaheremydarlingwhatareyouthinkin'NezukoIthoughtyouweregonnatellmethesethingsI'mgonnadienowwhat'rewegonnadowe'reseriouslygonna-"

"Zenitsu," she pleaded, trying to get him off the puddle of his tears, "calm down. You'll be fine."

"Don't sugarcoat it, Nezuko! We're gonna die!"

"We are not. You'll be fine, Zenitsu, trust me-- Hey!" Nezuko cried. Zenitsu let out another screech as two shadows turned the corner. "You shouldn't be here. I thought I told you to stay outside." Nezuko received the little boy and girl into her arms with their shaken expressions, but a part of her mind broke off from the rest of her--fixated on Tanjiro all alone outside in the sunny afternoon.

"Bu-But Nee-san! There're scratching sounds from inside the box," the boy replied.

"Even then, it's too dangerous for you to be here. That--That box is really precious to me, I trust him with my life. It worries me a lot that it's left behind out there and not you two, I mean--It's--" Another loud thunk rumbled and the once dead walls came to life, shifting in its places like an earthquake rode through and split the land in half.

Zenitsu ducked into a crouch. In the spur of the move he pushed Nezuko into another room, but before he could yell an apology, her companion's words were cut. The room changed. Nezuko mirrored the little boy and had the girl practically glued to her side, as more tsuzumi beats rang around them. Each time they found themselves in a room as dark and spooky as the rest; a sitting room, a bed chamber, and on and on until all they knew was the tatami under their feet.

'What just happened,' Nezuko thought. 'Did we move or.... Did the room just change? That drum must have something to do with it, but how?' The tsuzumi stopped, and this one was coated in warm yellow light from several paper lamps hanging on the ceiling high above their heads.

"I'm sorry we got separated from your brother," Nezuko said quietly, circling the top of her back, the way she would her siblings. The girl's eyes were wild, the same colour as Zenitsu's and paired quite nicely with her pink kimono--that's besides the point. "But you don't have to worry. I'll protect you for him and Zenitsu will be with your brother doing the same." Nezuko smiled her best, "What's your name?"

"Teruko," she replied and wiped snot from her nose.

"Teruko... That's a very pretty name. What about your brothers?

"Shoichi's the one with the yellow guy. Kiyoshi's..."

"I see--"

A sudden weight hit Nezuko's gut and her smile dropped. Thunderous stomps began to draw close and before she could think to hide, the demon stopped before the room's open door. Teruko nearly shrieked if Nezuko hadn't slapped a hand over her mouth. All the brooding hues of the mansion's aura swirled and centred on him--the eye of the hurricane with a bulky stature that wore tsuzumis like plates of armour and greasy auburn hair. "Marechi... Marechi..." His voice croaked as it uttered the words. "I must eat the marechi... And once I do...."