Chapter 13

"...s-s'il te plaît...n-ne disparais p-pas..."

The way he spoke so brokenly made me realise how much Levi can be vulnerable at times.

Even though I felt dead inside, destroyed by the reality of things, I just gripped him tighter, nuzzling in his hair "...o-oh mi cariño...j-jamás..." he unconsciously buried himself in my chest, before whispering "...g-good..." his body slowly went slack against me, meaning he had fallen asleep.

I sighed brokenly and tried everything in my power to not cry again, I felt so betrayed by my own body.

First, you give me the joy of finding out I can produce life and make me believe that I could finally find true happiness and then you rip it right out of my hands to make me suffer.

I'm tired...

Exhausted...

Is life punishing me for something I did in a past life...? Have I done something that bad...?

I felt Levi tense in my arms, stopping my train of thought. I looked down and noticed his face contorting as he started mumbling "...n-no...Mmh...not...h-him..." his fists clenched around my hospital gown's fabric.

I tried calling him softly "Lee...hey..." I shook him lightly, caressing his cheek gently "Wake up..." he clenched his jaw and jerked awake, sitting up and panting, before cursing under his breath.

I looked at him worriedly and lightly touched his shoulder, making him jolt in surprise and turn around with dark eyes.

I furrowed my eyebrows in sympathy "Hey...c'mere..." I slowly pulled him back in my arms, letting him know that he could pull away if he wanted to.

He buried his face in my chest and I wrapped my arms around his head gently, kissing it gently "...I feel so pathetic...p-putain..." I sighed softly, biting back new tears "You're not pathetic...you're just m-mourning...but maybe...i-if...if you let me in...we could do it together like we're supposed to do as a couple..."

I heard him sigh deeply "...I can't even imagine what y-you're going through mentally and physically...I-I don't...I don't..." he took a deep breath "...I don't want to put more stress and burden on you..." I leaned against him "That doesn't mean you should suffer alone..."

"...I just..." he trailed off and I caressed his hair, paying special attention to his undercut as I knew he liked it and it calmed him down "...I..." I bit my lip, trying to find the right words to avoid upsetting him more "I know it's difficult for you to open up to others...I just want you to know that it's okay to let people help when you're in need..."

I raised his chin slowly, looking at him in the eyes, leaning against his forehead as I swallowed the lump in my throat to talk again "...W-we'll get through this...together...o-okay...?" I felt him nod softly.

"...can I hug you...?" I nodded softly, offering him a wavering smile "...o-of course my gentle giant..."

He kissed my forehead with the utmost care and slowly wrapped his arms around me, bringing me closer gently and then in his lap "...I love you..."

I kissed his temple "I love you too..." he trailed his hands down towards my belly and my breath hitched, making him pull away immediately "...s-sorry..." "N-no...it's okay...n-nothing is lost y-yet..." I grabbed his big hands and moved them back onto my belly, overwhelmed with emotions.

We stayed like that for a while, just thinking, before I cautiously measured my words and began talking "...I wanna choose names..." Levi tensed "...Eren, I don't think..." "Please...I...I want t-them to have n-names...e-even if...if...t-they..." I bit my lip but before I could cry once more he placed a soft kiss on my head "Alright doll...did you have something in mind...?"