Chapter 8

A baby...??

I looked up from the phone and looked at Jean "W-who's this baby...?" he took a deep breath "That's my...daughter Mina..."

Daughter...?

¿¿Quéeeee??

"Y-you have a daughter...?" "As you can see, yes...I-I do..." I widened my eyes and looked back at the picture of this chubby and freckled baby.

I suddenly felt a big hand on my shoulder, squeezing it and I had to stop Mikasa from intervening with a silent gesture.

I stayed still, kind of scared and not sure what to do as he looked at me with sad eyes but an emotionless face "...I fucked up big time with you...you see, I'm...gay too...I was always told it was wrong and I despised the way you were so carefree about it...I was jealous...that's why I started bullying you...I'm so sorry..."

I hesitantly wrapped my hand around his arm and squeezed it lightly, for him to let me go.

I still didn't feel very safe near him...

"...what you did was highly toxic and unforgivable..." I watched as his emotionless façade dropped lightly, along with his strong scent that started fading.

I bit my lip in hesitation, but seeing him like that kind of saddened me "...but...I-I suppose I...can forgive you...with time, of course, a lot of it..." he looked at me genuinely surprised "R-really...?" I nodded softly, offering him a tiny smile "You sincerely apologised and recognised you fucked up...you've been heartless to me but, I, myself, am not heartless..." I looked at him seriously "Though...it's going to take time and a lot of work from you to demonstrate to me you changed and this is not some sick joke of yours..."

"O-oh yeah c-cool cool yeah...t-thank you Eren...you're not as bad as I thought...I-I was kind of...blinded...? Yeah, blinded...by my...jealousy..." "It's okay..." I gave him back his phone that I had kept all this time.

I cleared my throat awkwardly "S-so...who's Mina's other dad...? I-If I can ask..." he chuckled bitterly and looked away "I thought the freckles gave it away..." I lightly widened my eyes in realisation "O-oh...it's...Marco, isn't it...?" he hung his head and his face grew dark.

"Y-yeah...she was born on his birthday...but also on the anniversary of his death...which is such a sick joke to me..." he lowered his voice to a murmur "I didn't even know at the time that something like that could happen..." "...what... happened...?" I looked at him pitifully, with a frown "She survived the birth...h-he...he didn't..."

Oh...that's why we were told he had been terminally ill, reason why he couldn't come to school for the last few months before they announced his death...

That makes so much sense...

Wow...I didn't know he suffered so much...

I teared up a little "I-I'm Sorry..." he lightly widened his eyes in surprise "H-hey pipsqueak don't cry on me now..." he scratched his neck awkwardly "I'm kind of okay now...she loves to cheer me up..." I wiped my tears away "W-well she's very cute..."

"I know...she's the light of my life, now that Marco isn't here anymore...but enough sappy shit...Uhm...we'll be your 'bodyguards' from now on...because of us...you must have noticed there are people in the school that want to follow our path soo...since at least one of us has class with you during the day and if you agree, we will accompany you to every class when Mikasa or Levi won't be by your side..."

I looked at Jean, seriously moved by his complete and sudden change of behaviour for the better and nodded lightly, a bit dazed as well "Thank you, I really appreciate your gesture..." I smiled gently "And one more thing..." I looked at Jean curiously "Yeah...?" "Uhm...You're invited to Mina's birthday party...she'll turn one in a couple of months..."