One Step Closer and Further

Time goes by and all three of us go home together after that day. Since Olga was a senior in middle school, his schedule was a bit more hectic so sometimes we had to wait for him to finish his matters first.

A month after the day we first met, me and Olga already became pretty close. We chat almost every single day and it was never boring. I slowly opened up to him and even with all my darkness and insecurities, he still accepted me for who i am. One day, his friend asked him for help on something, so me and Marie sat on the school garden's bench and talked while waiting for him.

"So, how's it going between you two?" She asked.

"Between me and who?"

"Well duh, Olga obviously"

I just smiled while looking at the clear blue sky above us.

"Hmm, great i guess? At least from my point of view. You might wanna ask him that too"

"Are you perhaps thinking of dating him?"

I immediately choked from my own saliva. I just stared at her, eyes wide open in disbelief. I couldn't believe what she randomly said to me.

"...you're joking, right?"

"Why would i?"

"Why would you not?"

Marie had this happy face she puts on whenever she talks about her ships in a fandom and i was so not ready to face that.

"Marie, No-"

"Come on! My bro's looks are pretty decent, he's smart, plays the keyboard, kind, you name it! I'd say that's a great deal you got there. A jackpot even!"

I groaned and mentally facepalmed.

"Look, it's never going to happen. I don't have any feelings for him"

"Yet"

"No. Besides, why would someone like him want someone like me? I'd be lucky enough if he does accept me in that way. Heck, i'm already lucky enough that he wants to be my friend!"

"AHA! SO YOU DO HOPE FOR HIM TO LIKE YOU! I get it"

"NO! Ugh, whatever, Marie. It's never gonna happen"

"Mark my words, it will! I, Marie Irish, sister of Olga Irish, approve of this ship!"

"Imaginary ship"

"SHHH! You're ruining the moment!"

I just rolled my eyes at the utter ridiculousness of that idea, not knowing that it would soon come true. I wasn't really aiming for romance any time soon eventhough i am a hopeless romantic, but after that talk with Marie, i started thinking about the possibility. At this point i wasn't as sure as before because with each passing day, me and Olga got closer and closer.

There was that one time where me and Marie were waiting for him at the front of the main gates. I was so busy talking when i felt a soft pat on my head. When i turned around, it was Olga with his usual smile.

There was also that other time when Marie was absent because she caught a cold. I was seriously contemplating my choices. Marie was the glue to me and Olga's friendship, plus the fact that i've never been in a situation where there was only the two of us alone, AND the fact that i've never been alone with a guy. I decided to go home on my own without saying a word to Olga, but as i walked down the stairs, he stood at the bottom end and said hi. Apparently he wanted to visit my class to 'pick me up' so we can go together. Unexpected? Yes. Am i complaining? Not really. I actually thought it would be pretty awkward, but turns out we actually had fun even without Marie's help. Sometimes we would laugh so hard that even the people around looked at us like we're crazy.