Engagement Party

Morning came and i woke up, my heart beating pretty wildly. Tonight was the engagement party. Was i ready? Did i make the right choice? I don't know. What i do know is that me and Olga still had work, but since there was the party, we already asked permission to leave earlier to prepare for it. We got home at 3 pm to get ourselves glammed up. Thankfully, since we weren't the center of attention, we didn't need to take that long to get ready. We dressed up just enough to wow people but not to the point of stealing the spotlight. I was wearing a simple black formal dress while Olga wore a suit that was black inside and out. I was about to grab my heels when Olga called me to hurry and watch the tv.

"Heather, you need to see this!"

"What's so important that-"

My heart dropped as i watched the celebrity news. There was a pic of Wade and Vanessa hugging, and judging from the location and clothes, i knew that it was from the night before when i almost eavesdropped on them. 

'Welcome back to Celeb News! So, an anonymous person caught Wade Wilson, the new director of Medical Empire, hugging his supposedly new fiancee, Vanessa Hailey, whose parents own the majority of the coal industry! We also heard that they're holding an engagement party tonight! Will they finally announce themselves and make it official? Stay tune to see updates for this new lovey dovey couple!'

I knew it. I knew it was wrong for me to have any hope for him. I felt my lips turn into a frown but i then turned it into a smile, hiding my sadness from Olga and continue grabbing my heels before we left for the party.

"...Are you alright?" Olga asked while driving.

"I am"

I wasn't, but i had to stay strong until the party was over. We finally got there and as i expected, the decor was glamorous, just like the masquerade ball. Music was playing in the background as we entered the ballroom, my hand in Olga's. As soon as we got in, i greeted everyone that knows me and my parents out of politeness before heading to the drink stand, holding a glass of champagne. Olga was standing next to me, also holding a drink. We silently watched the people as they busily talked with each other.

"It's been a while since the masquerade, huh?" Olga said, taking a sip. It's true, we started this engagement act since then, and a lot of things have happened.

"Yeah, it really has"

Soon, a loud clap was heard from the grand stairs, signaling the orchestra to stop the music. Everyone looked over to see Anna and Mark, wearing gold colored clothes. Talk about being damn extra. My eyes hurt just from looking.

"Good evening, everyone! Thankyou all for your time to come to my son's engagement party! I'm sure you're all waiting for the lovely couple, right? Well, here they are!" Anna said. She then walked away with Mark, opening a path for Wade and Vanessa to walk down the stairs together. The spotlight was aimed at the couple. As i watched them walk, i felt the ache in my heart again. They looked like they were meant for each other. It was supposed to be me. I should've been the one who walked down the stairs with Wade, not Vanessa. I tried as best as i can to keep a straight face to make sure no one knows how i really feel, including Olga. Once Wade and Vanessa reached the bottom, another spotlight lit up, but this time, it was aimed at me. I gulped, putting down my drink at a nearby table.

"Ladies and gentleman, i also would like to introduce Heather, the girl who was my son's fiancee before she told us she was already engaged. I think it's mandatory for them to have one dance together to symbolize their friendship and support for one another!"

I was crazy panicking inside. Mom didn't give me a heads up about this at all, but then again i did hung up on her the last time we called. Anna then clapped again, signaling the orchestra to start playing music. This time, they played Arcade by Duncan Laurence. I cursed at myself as Wade walked over to me, bowing while extending his hand.