Chapter Thirty- Four

The wound should've healed completely by now Petra thought dabbing the busted flesh at her shoulder with a piece of cloth soaked in the liquor she found at the house. She stood naked at the bathroom mirror, incessantly cleaning the blood, the only thing she saw, that and the cloth moving against the steady drip.

What type of fucked up knife was that? From the blood, she ingested she should've healed completely but no. The vampire wouldn't be surprised if the weapon belonged to Adira she thought pressing the fabric into the wound with fury, whatever sorcery she placed on it was strong because she was in immense pain. Petra winced the entire time she managed to patch the injury at her thigh and it was unlike her, pain was something she rarely felt and to endure hours of it was certainly a punishment from Adira.

Rolling her eyes at the thought of the revenant queen, she quickly patched her shoulder too, slipping into a pair of sweats and an old t-shirt that belonged to her friend. The woman threw away the pieces of blood-soaked cloth into the trash and drank the rest of the liquor, tossing the bottle as well.

Strategically she planned her meeting with Adira. She knew it was about time she showed her face but the vampire never planned to pay for anything. She was only going to see Adira to hear what nonsense she'd slap her with, then she'd feign repentance and beg for a minimal punishment. Despite the situation, Adira would be forgiving, she was always a sucker for her only this time she'd regret even striking a deal with her.

The cellphone rang in the middle of Petra's chaotic thoughts causing her to snap her eyes to it. She crept over, recognizing the girl's name and number.

"Hi," she answered with genuine enthusiasm. It was a week since they last saw each other but memories of their night in the open replayed. Petra remembered learning how similar she and Beth was and she could remember how much emotions she picked up on. The young girl was like a walking beam of energy, the polar opposite of what she was used too. Beth was animated and cheery.

"Hey, I just thought I'd call to check up on you,"

Glancing down at herself Petra thought of being frank with her. She felt like shit, her thigh and shoulder were all messed up from her fight and she was so over the pain but she couldn't do that, she'd probably worry the girl or worse, freak her out.

"That's sweet of you, Beth. What have you been up too since we last met?"

"School mostly. I can't remember if you ever told me if you were from the area or not,"

"Technically, not really, I stay about an hour away from you,". The vampire was only crashing at her friend's place to evade being taken to Adira against her will. Migrating somewhere far wasn't appeasing in the slightest.

"Well I'm free this afternoon and I've been wondering if you'd like to hang out, just for a little bit?"

"That sounds nice, would you like to come here? I could probably show you around."

"Yeah sure, just give me the address and I'll come find you,"

"I'll text it to you,"

There was a little smile on Petra's face again. What was the worse that could happen? Beth was only coming over to hang out and that was about that. She already took care of the day's threat so she'd be fine. All she has to do is stay inside just in case the girl was being followed. No one would ever expect the two of them to be friends and that was her advantage.

The call soon ends and the vampire went around the house getting rid of any signs of her fight earlier that day. She tossed the garbage out, washed the sinks she used, and also tossed her bloodied clothes. She then waits for Beth, that hum in her chest strong enough to be felt throughout her entire body. More and more she came to realize that what she felt for the human was infatuation. It was years since she liked someone who wasn't the queen so it came as a surprise that she fell for someone and one who happened to be mortal. And she knew the girl felt the same, why else would she be like that?