Chapter Thirty- Eight

The vampire hurried her movements as she tossed all her belongings into the car she changed for the third time. Shaky hands worked assiduously but despite how fast she was she wasn't fast enough to put distance between her and Adira. What the fuck was she thinking losing her cool like that? Why did she hurt Colette?

Temptation. Anger. Jealousy. Spite.

Those would never justify her second, no her final attempt at murder because the girl was dead for sure but it was the truth. Petra was always tempted to have a taste from Colette but she never expected that to be how it would happen. She always imagined it might've been more formal, on a consensual basis where the young girl would eventually wrap her mind around sharing her blood. The anger she harboured for the brunette became insurmountable at that point only because Coletta touched her first. This was the one time she didn't start a fight that escalated to the point of her killing someone. The attack was rooted in jealousy and spite, Petra wanted to show the girl that she was always capable of ending her life and not even Adira could've stopped her.

"Fuck, fuck, fuck!" She exclaimed realizing she should've already been on the road. Taking a few seconds break, the woman looked around, noting how the weather changed. Petra could already feel it, the doom churned inside of her stomach but instead of waiting around for the inevitable to come, she climbed into the car and sped away, fuck whatever got left behind. Her destination was still unknown but not even the distance between hell and earth was long enough to keep her safe, the vampire knew the queen would still find her but it didn't mean she couldn't try.

With the car blazing down the road, Petra pulled her phone out, she wanted to call Beth to hear her voice just a little but Colette's words played in her head over and over in a loop; "You're a monster, Petra, Beth would never care about you. She'd probably run to the hills if she ever found out what you truly are," and the woman felt like it was true. She was a monster. Monsters killed people, monsters endangered innocent lives, monsters wreaked havoc, monsters had no regards. Beth probably would burn her at a stake if she ever found out. The woman's heart was broken, she felt the cold, inanimate organ shatter into a million tiny pieces at the thought of not being wanted by Beth. Like she didn't even know if it was the truth or not, but she convinced herself the girl would shun her if her true nature was exposed.

Petra chewed on her bottom lip as she steered the car. Her senses were on high alert, she could feel Adira coming despite her not having a clue where she was but the vampire knew the woman was that gifted. She saw the queen do inexplicable things like find someone's soul roaming mindlessly through purgatory, or in the burning depths of hell, she saw her conjure a mangled body back to normal, what was stopping Adira from finding her?

Nothing.

Adira only ever acted oblivious to her whereabouts but the entire time the woman was capable of finding her if she wanted too.

Groaning, Petra continued to chew on her lip as the vehicle sped through the middle day. The sky was entirely consumed by a thick blanket of grey clouds and every few minutes or so tiny droplets of rain hurdled against the windshield and the windows until eventually, a downpour came. Petra was thankful for the cooler weather, in the event of running for her life the wet atmosphere and ground would be far better to handle than the blazing sun.

Despite the circumstances at play, Petra hoped she didn't kill the girl. That would mean a definite death sentence for her and honestly, she didn't feel like dying all over again.

But it wasn't what she wished any more, she was done for.

×

Setting the last of the suitcase onto the ground, the vampire slipped into the room to change out of her damp clothing. Thankful that at the last minute she was able to take refuge at another one of her friend's home, she still didn't feel safe but she felt like she wouldn't die as fast as she thought.