Chapter 9

Books, Witches, Charms, and Prisons

My knees are glued to the floor, my hair up in a bun, my plaid shirt coat tossed somewhere over the desk, and my shirt sleeves rolled up to where my elbows start.

"Where should I even start?" I ask, overwhelmed by the amount of book titles dancing around me.

Inhaling deeply, I start by lifting a random book.

Atonement by Ian McEwan.

"Oh, Mr. McEwan, why would you kill your main characters, dude?" I question the author as if he would ever hear me.

I hate that guy. A quick reminder of one of the rules flashes in my mind: Do not open books of characters who die at the end. They would want to escape.

I chuckle lowly. "Escape? As if." I let the book drop and grab another one.

Macbeth by William Shakespeare.

Well, I should defnitely not open this one then. Most characters die in Shakespeare's tragedies.

More titles swim around me, and some of them start hooking my attention.

Enma by Jane Austen.

Twilight by Stephanie Meyer.

The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R Tolkien.

Hard Times by Charles Dickens.

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.

"Finally, dystopian YAL!" I sit cross-legged, excitement warming my heart. "This is my thing," I mutter as I open the book and scan the first pages.

"Because she came here with me," I repeat by heart the line from The Hunger Games, but I still cannot find that exact spot in the book.

"Katniss stop!" someone shouts. A blonde, cute boy shields himself. "We're not in the arena anymore!"

I jump straight up, the opened book in my hands.

"WHAT THE HELL?" I scream. I mean, I knew this is what happens when you open a book in this library, but man, WHAT THE HELL?

Katniss puts her bow down, her braid a little bit disheveled.

"Hi!" I greet them, barely controlling the amount of happiness sparking in every cell of my body.

Their heads snap in my direction.

"Oh, hi there." Peeta smiles warmly, walking toward me. Katniss trails behind him, her hand tightening around her bow. "Thank you for letting us out for a bit, and for not opening Mockingjay. I swear, I hate that book."

Katniss stands by his side now. "Stop sulking, everything gets fixed in Mockingjay—well, without getting too deep into detail." She scoffs.

"Do not mention that book to me. You have no idea what it's like to be brainwashed. And what about Pr-" He stops talking, and their troubled eyes lock.