Chapter 4

Libraries, Bridgerton guys, and Harry Potter vibes

There're hundreds of books spread on the cedar floor. They're all meticulously arranged, fitting perfectly into each other. It's interesting to see that they're all different. I still couldn't spot two copies alike. And the perfectly arranged set of books stands out in such a disheveled place.

Someone placed the books in this way. Someone took the time to leave them on the floor without taking the time to fix the rest of the room.

I frown. What the hell is this place?

These books may be all different, and I can't find a pattern in which this person arranged them. Except that...they're all closed.

My brain hurts.

It doesn't make any sense.

I identify two windows but they are covered with some teared-up pieces of gray cloth.

I walk toward the desk and spiderwebs slide by my body.

Yuck.

I ring the bell on the desk to see if someone shows up.

"Hello?" I look at my phone it's half past five.

Darn. I can't believe I'm late for this.

I turn to leave when from the corner of my eye I spot a fancy copy of Pride and Prejudice. It looks really out of character, considering the surroundings. It looks like a vintage, expensive version. I grab it, my hands exploring the golden sides of the pages. I take a whiff at the cover. It smells like leather and dust.

Sliding the book open, a loud thud goes audible at the back of the room.

I thought I was alone here.

A man and a woman argue fervently I frown, craning my neck to see where they came from. It's as if they would've entered the room from some secret door I didn't notice before.

I walk to them, and when they spot me, they go silent.

Both of them seem to have gone out from a Costumes shop. They're dressed in really old-fashioned clothes. He's wearing one of those suits the guys wear in Bridgerton, and she's wearing a dress that doesn't allow the human eye to spot any trace of skin, that is, not mentioning her face and hands.

"Good afternoon," the man says, and tips his hat off to greet me.

I do a small curtsy just to play along.

"Are you here for the job?" she asks. Both speak with a clear English accent.

"Yes. Here's my letter of application." I hand it to them.

She takes it from me and starts reading it.

"So, Sunset, why would you want this job?" the woman queries.