Chapter 26

Lost Keys, Screwdrivers and Mission Abort

Mission Abort

I would just buy this if it were a perfume. Someone needs to put this smell into a bottle and sell it. The freshly brewed coffee scent washes over me as I enter the Stardust café.

"Hi Joe!" I greet the owner. He waves his hand at me from afar as he hands a receipt to a costumer. My fingers tap on the bar as I wait for him to come over me.

"How can we help you, Sunset?" Joe finally arrives. I told him before coming in that I needed a favour.

"Um... I was wondering if you had seen Mrs. Wolf, the lady from the library?" I look around me, still trying to spot her. "My texts don't get to her...and-"

"Mmm no...she is...no... I haven't seen her," he stutters with a puzzled look.

"Shoot." I press my lips together. "Do you have a spare key to the library?"

"We did, but I cannot find it since last week, maybe if you wait until tomorrow, see if she shows up?" he offers.

"I was kind of in a rush, I forgot something important... inside..." I trail off.

Play it cool, Sunset, play it cool.

"Oh... So... You don't have the key anymore?" Tom interjects and my gut just felt something. Something is off with Tom.

"Well, thank you Joe." I ignore Tom's question,"I'll come back again tomorrow, no worries." I turn around.

Ugh.

What is Raiden doing here? Are they always together?

But, then an idea lights up so I walk confidently towards them, even when they all saw me hugging a toilet seat last night.

I'm back to wearing my usual skin-covering clothes. I got inspired by Dawn. I'm wearing a denim jumpsuit, which is unhooked on one side, a flower-printed shirt, and my black Converse. My blonde hair is tucked towards my right side on a french braid that Dawn made for me.

"Hi," I greet the group. Dean is with Camille now. Yay.

They all greet me back. Lukah doesn't say much, even when I thought he would be the first one to ask if I was okay, Skyler is the one to ask me that. His eyes keep avoiding me. Maybe it's because of the memory of his fingers shoved in my throat. I would also be disgusted.

Camille whispers something into Dean's ear. How annoying can she be? Dean kisses the arch of her neck as if he were answering my question.

"Thank you, Skyler," I aim my eyes at her, "for everything... I'm good." I keep it simple, but I also try to be greatful for the help she gave me. "Raiden, by any chance, do you have dad's tool box in the car?" I casually ask, my hand lands on the edge of their table.