Chapter 14

Harry Styles is picking me up

The floor of my room is cluttered with all of the clothing items I own. The mess is big but it was worth it-I think.

My head tilts as I assess my look in the mirror. My blonde hair is up in a messy knot with some escaping tendrils framing my face. I turn on my side to see how the black cotton dress drapes around me, the hem reaching just above my knees.

Sheer black thigh highs cover my legs because I don't want to freeze to death but maybe I should just endure the cold weather.

Ugh. The struggle is big.

I go on my right knee to tie the shoelace of one of my boots.

Maybe I should go for my Vans.

"You look great in this and all the other outfits you showed me. Can we go now?" Hardin demands without looking at me. He's laying down on my bed, his dirty black Converse trainers on, his face partially covered by my mum's copy of Pride and Prejudice-the guy looks as if he would've lived here all of his life.

"Yeah, you really think so?" I doubt, pursing my lips.

He rolls his eyes in reply, his eyes quickly returning to the book before him. Defeated by his attitude, I just grab my coat. God, I don't know how Tessa deals with him. I fasten the lace around my waist and I start mentally checking the things I need for the bonfire. Where's my bag? My eyes dance around the mess in my room.

Oh, there it is. I hang the strap of my black shiny bag over my shoulder.

Hardin stands up, dropping the book on my bed. "What did the poor book do to you?" he asks, referring to the state of my poor copy.

"Long story. I'll tell you about it on the drive to the bonfire."

Walking toward the door, I grab the opened book of After and look at Hardin before closing it.

"You ready?" I ask.

"Make sure to open the book on the page that we said. I need my car and some peace of mind," he states, tired.

"Yes, sure," assure him. "Wait for me outside, okay?"

He nods, and I take that as consent to close his book.

As he vanishes, I look around me to find myself alone. I think I'm in denial of how amazing this whole situation is. From the corner of my eye, I spot Lukah's burnt sweater partially tucked in my backpack.

Grabbing it, the burnt smell makes me wince. Quickly, I grab my white musk perfume and I spray it on his clothing. I stuff it inside my bag, and I happily walk away from my room.

According to my calculations, it's still early to leave. Raiden said the party would start at eight, and that he would leave at around seven-thirty. So, right now, at seven o'clock, I think I'm good. I just have to go downstairs open the book and go back home before they notice. I shouldn't waste a second anyway. Taking the elevator downstairs, and walking out to face Toronto's streets, I open the book, and soon Hardin Scott is walking next to me.