~Chapter 14: Choices~

Time had passed and for Techno it felt as if it were centuries. Fading in and out of his subconscious whenever he heard Y/n cough or stir. Leaving her side was no longer an option for him, he had faith that Philza would return as fast as possible and bring the medicine with him. If he didn't... He didn't wish to think about it.

A day passed, then the next... Techno was beginning to grow concerned. Could he no longer use the shortcut? Was he now forced to move by foot which would take him much longer than they all expected? But what if Y/n didn't have the time for that? Speaking of Y/n, she seemed to only have the energy to sit up once and a while and drink small amounts of water. She would eat a small amount of soup but then need to lay back down.

As long as she still was taking on water and food, Techno knew that there was still hope for her. There was still a chance for her to recover despite her fever not going down and her cough not going away. Instead, it would get worse. Whatever decided to attack her in her most vulnerable state was not giving her much mercy to work with. All Techno could do was sit by her bedside and watch over her in silence, comforting silence.

The sun was high on the third day of Philza being gone and by this point, Techno contemplated going out himself to find Philza and bring the medicine back. Though leaving Y/n alone was something he could not afford to do. Y/n had woken up before the sun even rose due to another fit of coughs. Once she had calmed down, there was no use in falling back asleep so Techno helped her drink more water and change the cool cloth used for her head to keep her comfortable.

"Where is Philza?" She asked, practically begging for him to return. Her voice was weak and her innocent and lost eyes now scared and tired. Perpetually drained... Each time she spoke, Techno's heart began to feel heavier. For once, he felt pity for another person besides himself or Philza.

"He'll be here soon. He'll come back, it just might take time." He assured her. His rich monotone voice starting to border on showing a hint of emotions. The way it shook as he said this and the way he had to take a breath before and after his sentence said much about his current state. Not only that but in the silence of the room when Y/n was sleeping or when she was too tired to talk, Techno's mind was running a mile a minute with voices that were not his own.

'Is she breathing?'

'She hasn't said anything in awhile!'

'Check her forehead.'

'She's burning up.'

'More water.'

'Where is Phil?'

'Philza could be in danger!'

'Check her breathing again!'

'Is she sleeping?'

'Dear God, don't let her be dead.'

He felt his sanity start to slip away and all over a girl he knew for less than a month even. Though even thinking about how long they knew one another, Techno did not care. At this moment, all he knew was to watch over Y/n.

As he placed a new damp cloth over her heated forehead, Techno heard the sound of faint tapping. His heart leaped into his throat and part of him said that it had to be Philza coming back with the medicine... There would be hope. Though the longer he listened the more he realized that it wasn't the tap of footsteps or the sound of someone walking up to the house, but it was the sound of something tapping on the window right outside.