Dragon-shifter #4

Hiccup didn't bring up the talk with Astrid, in fact he avoided eye contact with her at all costs for the next few days. Instead he threw himself into his work preparing the villagers for the rescue ahead.

"The riders will set out first, followed by the a team. Scouting only. Once we have a bearing on their fleet we will regroup back here and plan our attack."

The riders nodded going their separate ways to prepare their dragons for flight. Jack and Thiana headed back to Hiccup's hut whereas Aster stayed behind.

"Thank you for this Hiccup. I don't know what we would have done otherwise." Aster thanked with a grateful smile.

But his smile quickly faded and lightning gathered in his irises. "But if you ever say anything to hurt Jack again I will personally see to your demise."

"I deserve that." Hiccup scratched the back of his neck out of pure awkwardness. Aster stalked off after Jack and Thiana allowing Hiccup to breathe.

Hiccup gathered his things and called for Toothless. Together they went off for the stables where they were to meet with the scouts.

They needn't wait long. Within ten minutes everyone was saddled up and ready to go. Thiana had opted to stay behind and, not wanting her to be alone, Aster begrudgingly stayed back too.

That left Jack to lead the way past the northern straights to the last known location of Dragon's fleet. They would have undoubtedly moved after the breakout but they had to start somewhere.

Jack was considerably further ahead and flying haphazardly, zig zagging across the sky as if improving his vision.

Hiccup wanted to give him some space but one look from Astrid spurred him to catch up.

"Hey Jack you shouldn't stray too far from the group."

"The further we spread the quicker we will find them." Jack replies, lacking his usual energy.

"Jack, we will find them. But it isn't safe for you to be separated. What if we get- LOOK OUT!"

A flaming arrow pierced the clouds only narrowly missing Jack's wing. Having been split in two the clouds parted to reveal a fleet twenty ships strong, each with the familiar turquoise metal worked into the hull and masts.

"Pitch." Jack snarled starting to dive towards the ship. Toothless blocked his path but it was too late.

"Jack remember what we came here do you. Scout and report back to Berk." Hiccup hissed grabbing hold of Jack's arm.

Dozens of arrows whistled through the air not quite reaching high enough. They stood as a warning, one that Jack was quite willing to ignore.

"You can't take them on alone. We need to retreat and regroup."

"Hiccup let me go." The white of his eyes seeped into the blue like frost.

"I am not letting you get yourself killed. After we regroup we can-"

"No!"

Jack twisted Hiccup's arm to the brink of discomfort creating a layer of frost that held it in place long enough for him to break free. He hovered mid air staring apologetically into Hiccup's emerald eyes before disappearing beneath the clouds.

"Shit." Hiccup ran his hand through his hair and turned to the group. "Gustav! Return to Berk and inform any available riders to come help."

Hiccup shattered that layer of frost and gripped his saddle telling toothless to dive. His team followed suit and the battle began. Huge spears and arrows were being thrown around all dipped in dragonroot; an old trick the chief thought he had seen the last of.