Chapter 19

Atone

"I can do this." I've been repeating the same thing every now and then inside my head. To say that I'm nervous would be an understatement. Hindi lang ako basta kinakabahan. Pakiramdam ko ay nanginginig ang aking buong sistema. I've been pacing back and forth for the last 30 minutes as I wait for them.

I'm excited, extremely elated that finally I'll be seeing my Grandmama after a long time, this time conscious and smiling at me.

Masaya rin akong makita ulit ang dalawang taong tinuring kong magulang. My then Mom and Dad but my now Tita and Tito. Kahit may kaunting pag-aalinlangan pa rin ako na makipagkita sa kanila, gagawin ko. I want to move forward and lay out the truth for all of us. Ayoko man silang saktan, ngunit mas ayokong hayaan silang walang kaalam-alam.

I feel dreadful to meet Lylian but she's my cousin Blaire. And as much as Lylian is more of a criminal, Blaire is a victim. I want her to be freed by the truth as well. And I want her to be willing to face the punishment of her mistakes. I want to give her the chance to atone and change.

I want to forgive her. Naniniwala akong hindi naman talaga siya isinilang na masamang tao. Her circumstance just pushed her to be like that. Gusto kong makita niya rin na hindi siya talaga ganung klaseng tao. That she didn't have it in her to be completely evil.

I stopped pacing back and forth when finally the door of my hospital room opened. Naunang pumasok si Grandmama na naka wheel chair man ay halata na ang sigla at kasiyahan.

"My dearest grandchild! How I miss you!" Salubong niya sa akin. She stood up from the wheel chair and hugged me tight. I hugged her back with the same excitement and enthusiasm.

I glance at the door and saw Tita Stella and Tito Steve walked in, following Grandmama closely. Tito Steve offered me a gentle smile while Tita Stella just looked at me with no emotion on her face. Nakakapanibago pa rin na tawagin silang ganun. I was so used to call them mom and dad.

Blaire followed suit with her perfectly done hair and carefully thought-of outfit. I see. She's here for drama and she has her bitch face on. I know right then she's going to deny the truth. She's not going to make it easy for me and for all of us.

Before she closed the door, I saw Zyan outside giving orders to the security personnel outside my room. He agreed to let me talk to them myself and alone.

"So the fake heiress returns after faking her death." Umismid siya."Shouldn't you be in jail for that? Isn't pseudocide a felony?" Her lopsided smirk and her raise brow made me want to slap her but I restrained myself.

"If we're talking jail time, Blaire shouldn't you be worried about yourself first?" Satisfied with my retort after seeing her changed her expression I smiled.

"You have no right to talk to my daughter like that!" Tita Stella defended her. Tito Steve calmed her down by holding her arm softly making me smile.

I can still see the remnants of the parents I had before. I remember when Tita Stella was always defending me as my mom whenever I did something terrible. She always took my side no matter what. I see it now. That's how she is as a mother. I understand that as Blaire's mom she's gonna back her up against all odds and I'm thankful for that. My cousin will get to experience a mother's love as unconditional as that and maybe that will reform her to be a better person.

"Sa tingin ko Stella, kailangan mo munang makilala ang tunay na anyo ng tinatawag mong anak." Grandmama said with authority in her yet calm voice.

"My daughter is not some kind of monster Mama." Dad replied.

I expected it to be as chaotic as this. I actually expected worse so I'm not fazed at all. We're gonna clear it all up. It's now or never.

"I don't see the point of ever being here and listen to her accuse Blaire of crimes she didn't do. We already cut ties with her. She's not my daughter." Tita Stella stood her ground. Blaire smiled confidently towards me.

Masakit sa aking durugin ang paniniwala niya. Masakit sa akin ang malamang masasaktan ko siya ng tuluyan sa sasabihin ko. I don't want to do this to her. I still see her as my mom. Those my memories and those times I spent with her will never be easily forgotten nor set aside. Pero kailangan.

"Naiintindihan ko kayo Tita Stella at Tito Steve. I know because I've been your daughter once and you defended me fiercely and unconditionally every time I messed up. Ganyan niyo rin ako minahal." I took a deep breath before continuing.

Kunot-noong pinagmamasdan ako ni Tita Stella. At kahit nakikita ko ang galit niya, hindi pa rin maitatago ang concern at pag-alala sa mga mata niya tuwing mapapako ang tingin sa aking tiyan na may benda pa ang parteng nasaksak.

"I just want you to listen, to willingly hear me out this time. Hindi para sa akin kundi para sa anak niyo. For Blaire. Because if you won't listen to me and correct her wrong doings, you'll never be able to have your daughter back. She will forever be an instrument of Melynda's rage and revenge plot."

Blaire laughed sacastically. "Melynda? Why are you calling your mother that? Hindi mo ba matanggap na mahirap pa siya sa uod kaya ayaw mong iacknowledge na siya ang nanay mo? And what nonsense are cooking now? Revenge plot? Didn't know you are an aspiring novelist."

"You shut up, Blaire! Or heaven's forgive me kahit apo kita'y ibabato ko sayo itong wheel chair na ito!" Grandmama exclaimed habang hawak-hawak ang wheel chair. Namilog ang mga mata ni Blaire sa gulat at agad na umayos at tumahimik.

"Melynda is a rat, a worthless person eaten up by her rage and jealousy. Siya lang ang sumisira sa pamilya natin at hinahayaan natin siya. We're allowing her to wrap us in her little finger like idiots." She added.

"What do you mean, Mama?" Si Tito Steve na ngayon ay mukhang unti-unti ng nakakaintindi sa nangyayari.

Hindi sumagot si Grandmama at tumingin lang sa akin, urging me to speak the truth. Sighing, I grabbed the envelope with the DNA test result from my bed and handed it to him.

Kunot-noong sabay na binuksan at binasa iyon ng dalawa.

"What? You're into faking documents now? Hindi mo kami madadaan diyan! The DNA test Mom and Dad did before was legit. I am their daughter. The real heiress! Just accept it!" Blaire almost screamed.

Walang sumagot sa kanya. The room fell silent as we both look at Tito and Tita. They had a solemn look on their face. Natulala si Tito Steve nang mag-angat ng tingin sa akin habang si Tita Stella ay unti-unting bumuhos ang luha.

"H-how is that p-possible? The b-baby died. My n-niece died in that car accident..." She trailed off.

Tito Steve knew that the document is legit. Kinuha iyon sa parehong lab na pinaggawan niya ng DNA test nila ni Blaire at hindi basta-basta nababayaran iyon ng kung sino-sino para gawing fake o i-alter.

"Mylenda... that wretched woman!" Tito exclaimed when it finally dawned on her.

"What baby?! What niece?!" Hinablot ni Blaire and dokumento at maging siya ang nanlaki ang mga mata sa nabasa.
Her eyes turned to slits as she then glared at me. Hindi pa rin naniniwala.

"Yes, Blaire. The woman you wanted so much to be dead is your cousin. I'm your d*mn cousin!"

Her lips parted open in surprise and she froze. I know she's slowly realizing all the lies that Melynda had fed her.

I started explaining to them the entirety of what really happened.