Chapter 20

Forgive

I saw it as clear as day, the look on Tita Stella and Tito Steve's faces when they finally understood everything. Natulala si Tita Stella, tila ba nag-iisip ng malalim sa kung ano ang dapat niyang gawin ngayon malinaw na malinaw na ang katotohanan.

Her daughter is a criminal. She can either choose to protect her with all her might, pagtakpan at gawin ang lahat, bayaran ang sinumang dapat bayaran huwag lang makulong ang anak. I would understand if she chooses that. Alam kong iniisip niya na hindi niya maatim na isuko ang anak sa mga pulis lalo na't hindi pa nagtatagal na nakasama niya ito. Sobrang laki ng naging pagkukulang niya kay Blaire.

But if someone were to ask me, I think she should do what is right. Hindi lang para makamit ko ang hustisya sa
ginawa niya kung hindi para rin sa pinsan ko. If she gets arrested, she will be able to correct her wrongs and I know it will change her for the better. I hope so. Kung hindi itatama ni Tita Stella ngayon ang malaking kamalian ni Blaire, mas lalo lang niyang itutulak ito na gumawa pa uli ng masama.

Dahil iisipin niyang okay lang, hindi naman siya makukulong at nababayaran naman ng pera ang lahat.
With the way her mind is in a very dark place right now, I know she will definitely turn out like that. She will do even more crimes in the future if she realizes she can get out of a crime as cruel and gruesome as what she had already done.

Tito Steeve on the other hand is livid. He knows already that Melynda should be arrested and so is her daughter. He is already calling the police, demanding they arrest Melynda right now on the grounds of attempted murder and abduction. I wouldn't be surprise if any minute now, Melynda would be thrown in jail already. Tito Steve has a lot of connections with the higher ups and I know they will not doubt his words. Kaya alam ko rin na kung pipiliin niya mang protektahan si Blaire at siguruhing hindi siya makukulong ay nasisiguro kong iyon ang mangyayari.

When he ended the call, he looked at Blaire who is frozen in shock from everything. Her tears falling silently, her eyes held remorse. Naawa ako sa kanya. Like I said she is also more of a victim than a criminal. She was kidnapped, abducted for years. She was led to believe all of Melynda's lies, manipulated her and I'm sure even coerced her to do horrible things to me.
But even though I pity her, I can't just forgive her.

She wanted me to die in a car accident that she staged. She also had men faked my death. Ayokong isiping may pinapatay siyang ibang babae para gamiting bangkay ko pero sa tingin ko ay mukhang ganun nga ang nangyari. I'm hoping she didn't do it but even still, if Melynda did it alone, she still knows and that makes her an accomplice to another murder. Then she hired someone to kill me by stabbing me.

"You're lying! I know you're lying! Alam kong hindi nagsisinungaling sa akin si Melynda... She told me you're not going to give up your place as the heiress easily. She told me you're going to try everything just to get rid of me at alam niyang magtatagumpay ka dahil anak ka niya. Sinabihan na niya ako ng lahat ng ito!" She sobbed. Tita Stella and Tito Steve cried with her, hugging her and trying to comfort her.

Patuloy pa rin niyang pinaglalaban ang pinaniniwalaan niya, ang pinaniwala sa kanya ni Melynda kahit na sa loob ay alam niyang totoo ang lahat ng sinabi ko. Grandmama shook her head as she watched Blaire break apart.

"She told me I should watch out dahil matalino ka at nagmana ka sa kanya. At pinalaki niya akong bobo't hindi nakapag-aral. She told me, you, her daughter, will do the revenge for her. That you will take everything from me again just like how you did for years! At tama siya! Sobrang talino mo nga naman at nagawa mong baliktarin ang buong storya!"

"She told me she'd help me...to win against you basta bigyan ko lang siya ng pera buwan-buwan...Tutulungan niya ako at wala siyang pakialam kahit anak ka pa niya dahil hindi ka naman lumaki sa poder niya. Ako 'yung lumaki sa poder niya kaya gusto niyang magtagumpay ako dahil naging anak naman niya ako kahit paano...As long as I give her money. That's what she told me and I..I believe her." Iyak na siya ng iyak.

"What she told you are all lies, Blaire. I'm not her real daughter and I'm not taking anything from you. I'm just telling our family the truth." Malumanay at kalmado kong saad, umaasang mauunawaan niya rin ang side ko.

Naiintindihan ko siya ng buong-buo. And I want her to understand me, too.

"Talaga? Then tell me you won't claim to be the heiress of the company after I'll be put away in jail, probably my whole life!" She laugh hysterically, yet her voice is filled with so much pain.

Humagulhol si Tita Stella habang yakap-yakap ang anak. She shook her head repeatedly as if telling her she won't be going to jail. It pains me so much to watch them.

"Sabihin mo sa aking hindi mangyayari iyon at wala akong ibang paniniwalaan kung hindi ikaw!" She screamed.

"She's not taking it from you, Blaire. Pareho kayong magiging tagapagmana ng lahat ng anong meron ang pamilya natin. But in the mean time, you have to fix what you did wrong. Apo kita at ayokong mangyari ito sayo. As a matter of fact, Saffirah is really the appointed heiress because she is my eldest son's only child. Pero dahil apo kita at mahal din kita, I'm not going to abandon you. You will have everything Saffirah will have, equally. I promise you that. I swear on my future death bed." Grandmama even joked, her voice all gentle and loving as she coaxed Blaire to believe her. Her eyes filled with unshed tears.

"No! Why would I trust you?! You're always taking her side! Siya ang paborito mong apo!"

My heart broke hearing her say that. She has never been loved by anyone. No one ever treated her as someone precious and worth every ounce of attention. Kaya ganito nalang ang takot niya na agawin sa kanya ang pagmamahal at atensyon na ngayon niya lang naramdaman.

Napaiyak ako, nasasaktan para sa kanya. She craves the kind of love that her new found family has showered her and she wants to hold on to it. Habang ako, I enjoyed it for years not knowing someone out there deserves the same kind of love and attention more than me. Ako dapat ang walang magulang na magmamahal at mag-aalaga.

"I'm sorry, Blaire. I'm so sorry for taking your place. I didn't know..." I took a step closer towards her, my tears falling like an open tap.

Her eyes widened as she watched me  crying and coming near her. Hindi ko alam kung anong iniisip niya na gagawin ko at kung anong kinatatakot niya. But somehow something triggered her when I walked closer to her.

It happened too fast. She suddenly fished out a gun from her handbag and without hesitation aimed it and shot me.

But the pierce of the bullet didn't came because someone else covered me from  it. Tita Stella hugged me, covering my body. Nanghina ang hawak niya sa akin dahilan para muntik na siyang matumba ngunit agad ko siyang hinawakan patayo. My hands trembling, my whole body shaking in fear.

I heard screams of shock and horror but it fades out compared to the pain I felt when Tita Stella looked up at me and smiled painfully.

"Please forgive my daughter, Saffirah. Please forgive, Blaire..." She whispered, her tears falling endlessly. She coughed and blood came out of her mouth.

Then she lost consciousness, her body falling limp on mine...