Chapter 7

Glittery Gold

"Not all that sparkles are gold. That's me at this moment."

No matter how much I hated attending her party for I didn't have a choice. I already tried convincing Mom and Dad that it's not the perfect time to celebrate her stupid existence with Grandmama still in the hospital but it did nothing to change their minds.

Lylian's welcoming party is the grandest celebration of the year. From the highest rating hotel venue, the food, the theme and everything. She chooses a sparkle theme, hence everyone wore something that glitters, from beaded gowns, jewelries, diamonds and expensive watches. I wore a simple off-shoulder silver colored gown and had side swept hairstyle to show off my collarbones and shoulders.

"Hi, Blaire! It's so nice seeing you again. I'm happy for you for finally finding your long, lost sister."

I smiled and almost laughed at how fake that sounded coming from a socialite friend. Well, we're not really friends. She's with two other girls.

"Thanks, Dannie." I simply said and greeted the girls along with her just for the sake of being polite.

"See you around, Blaire!" She smiled widely and even waved.

"We never expected such miracle to happen to our family. But here it is now. Who would've thought that my wife and I will be given another daughter? And tonight, we are celebrating for that very reason. I welcome you all to my daughter's party, Lylian Candelanza!"

Dad's speech was given a round of applause and cheers. I watched Mom, seated in front of me as she stood up and dramatically wipe her tears. Lylian walked to the stage with her gold, tube style and deep v-neckline gown. It was filled with gold beads and sequins also that even the lights are reflecting her so much. She even wore big, round gold earrings. Her hair in a bun with several strands left to each side of her face. She literally looks like a human glitter tonight.

I heard the not-so-whispered comments of some people but I ignored it. They're probably wondering about how this happened but their questions will soon be answered as Lylian stood on the podium to speak. 

She's all smiles towards the crowd, looking very pleased and excited with her eyes sparkling. Selected media representatives were also invited and they're now flashing their cameras to get a scoop of this intriguing event about my family.

I'm so exhausted and sick of this. I wanna go home and be in the comfort of my bed. I sighed.

"Hello everyone. Hehehe."

I almost choke in my burst of laughter at Lylian's awkward start of her speech.
Amuse chuckles also resonated from the crowd.

But of course, Dad saved the day. "Excuse my daughter's shyness. She's not used to this kind of life and attention yet. Isn't her innocence just adorable?" Dad chuckled and sweetly smiled at Lylian, urging her to go on and telling her that it's all okay.

My laughter faded and I rolled my eyes.

Lylian's cheeks reddened from the embarrassment but she smiled cutely and continued her interrupted speech.

"I never once thought that this life is ahead of me. I lived in the slums, a poor devastating life in my 20 years of existence. But truthfully, God is real. I've been rescued by the truth, been set free from the life I had before."

She sighed dreamily, showing everyone how grateful and incredible her life is now. Her eyes scanned the crowd and her gaze stopped on me and she smiled. I would never mistake that smile to be one of genuineness. It's clearly isn't.