Chapter 4

After giving you a hard time about not having your own car at 21, the three of you sat in the taxi on your way to the hospital. Jane couldn't contain her excitement about meeting her new baby brother. Both you and Ji Eun were afraid that she would be upset when she found out she was pregnant, but Jane was ecstatic about having another friend to play with. Yoongi sat in the front with the taxi driver. At one point, the driver commented on what a great family the three of you are and Yoongi made a point to tell him that he would never date someone like you. You didn't know what part of you was so terrible but you were offended nonetheless. You just rolled your eyes and continued to play with Jane.

When you arrived at the hospital, the room was quiet, with only the air humidifier running. Ji Eun was laying on the bed, she was half asleep, but mostly locking eyes with her husband who was on the armchair. The baby was laying on Seokjin's chest and the couple couldn't help but shyly smile at each other. The world seems to have faded away, and there was only love. You couldn't hide your admiration, and wondered once again when you would enjoy this blissful life. Jane, being impatient, pushed the door to the side and ran up to hug her mom. Ji Eun shushed her daughter and directed Seokjin to carry the baby over and lowered him down for Jane to look.

"What's his name?" To everyone's astonishment, it was Yoongi who asked. His brother's eyes widened a bit and his face lit up.

"Ji Hoon," Seokjin responded.

Yoongi nooded, "That's a good name." His lips parted, and you noticed that he wanted to say something else but couldn't find the courage to.

"Do you want to hold him?" you asked him quietly. He jumped a bit, surprised that you dread his mind. Ji Eun smiled and gestured for him to come closer. Yoongi pondered the small face. It looks like a doll, Yoongi thought. He was terrified of dropping it and Seokjin was quite nervous too, knowing how clumsy his brother can be. But Yoongi picked Ji Hoon up with utmost care and precision. It was as if he was holding a cloud. Ji Hoon cooed a little bit in Yoongi's arms, causing him to no longer contain his smile. You gasped silently. It was the first time you saw him with any other expression than annoyed. He's beautiful, you thought again. There's so much sadness and unspoken yearnings in his eyes.

After Yoongi, it was your turn to hold the baby. It felt so fragile and you wondered how anyone could ever leave a baby behind. Unknowingly, tears rolled down your cheeks. Jane hugged your legs out of comfort, and once again, you pictured how this could be your future one day. If only you weren't terrified of falling. You handed Ji Hoon back to Ji Eun and excused yourself outside. Yoongi watched in curiosity as you walked out the door.

"Were you nice to her?" Seokjin asked.

"As nicely as I can be," Yoongi replied, shrugging his shoulders.

"So you weren't nice at all," Ji Eun chuckled. "Go easy on her, she's sweet. And who knows, maybe one day she'll melt that icy heart of yours."

Yoongi rolled his eyes, looking out the window to see that you've made your way to the garden. There was something he hasn't told anyone, a discovery he made last night in regards to you. He couldn't lie, maybe there is a chance. Without a word, he pushed himself off from the wall and moved towards the door. The couple exchanged devilish grins. "I think they're gonna fall in love," Ji Eun teased.

Seokjin shook his head, "I don't think my brother is capable of that. It's not his fault, but I just don't think he believes in that."

Ji Eun rubbed her husband's arm, "Again, that's not your fault. But let's have a bet."

"A bet?"

"If they end up together, I win and you have to take me on a vacation."

"Hmm, okay," Seokjin nodded, playfully humming along. "And if I win, we have another kid." With a groan, Ji Eun smacked his chest. His infamous laughter filled the room and the connecting hallways.

Yoongi found you on the bench in the garden, sunflowers surrounded you like a painting. The summer wind rushed through leaves and vines, shaking the painting in front of him. He took a big breath and approached you. You were surprised to see his shoes, you were sure he was annoyed with you, or at least indifferent. Yoongi bit the inside of his cheeks, why was it so hard to talk to you when he's trying not to get angry. It was like his defensive wall, being angry.

"Can I help you with something?"

"Let's go get coffee," he said and quickly turned away without waiting for your answer. Confused and a bit tired, you walked a few feet away from him. Unlike Seokjin, he wasn't too tall, just enough to intimidate. His undercut matched his edgy and cold exterior, and dragon eyes imprint on his prey. It waa the opposite vibe to Seokjin's, who is warm, welcoming, and nurturing.

There's a small coffee shop next to the hospital. Yoongi ordered a large iced americano. He noticed that you made a face. "What's wrong?" he asked.

"I don't understand people who drink americano," you answered. "Like the world has so much flavor to offer, why go with something that tastes so bad?"

Yoongi pondered the question for a bit, "What's something you don't like?"

"What?"

"Answer my question, what's something you don't like?"

"Um, I guess pork."

"And I love pork, it has so much flavor if cooked right," Yoongi stated. "We interact with the world in different ways. This isn't to say one taste is better than the other, it's just what we're comfortable with." Without another word, he paid for both your drinks and headed outside to the patio. Once again, you ran to follow him.

"Sorry," you offered.

He cocked an eyebrow, "For?"

"Everything, last night, this morning, just now. I feel like I'm getting on your bad side. You're just hard to read."

Yoongi chuckled, taking a sip of his bitter drink. He likes it, it made him feel a certain way, alive perhaps. Or it was just the adrenaline. "Don't be. I should be the one to say sorry for being so rude."

"It's okay, though now I hope we can start to be friends."

Yoongi stared at his fingers and the calluses on them, from playing guitar to piano. The summer breeze continued to sing their tunes. He should be friends with you, you could help him, you have that power. But he found himself saying, "No."

It caught you off guard, "No?"

"I don't want to be read by other people, and I don't need any more friends." He stood up, pushing the chair neatly back in place. You noticed he did that this morning at the apartment and in the hospital room. He seems to not be actively aware of this. "I'm gonna go now, tell Seokjin I won't be back for dinner tonight. And just like that, he disappeared into the distance.