News On My Grandad And The Question Of Noise

Sorry to submit another story in such quick succession to my last, but it seemed important to me to submit this one too.

I said in my first story on here that I had heard footsteps in the house where my Grandad had died. They came from the living room where he spent all his time and it really freaked me out. My Nanny doesn't believe in these things, so I didn't tell her for a long time for fear of upsetting her.

I visited recently to keep her company. I've been worried that without my Grandad she'll be lonely, but I know she'd never tell me if she was. I thought about the footsteps in the living room all the way there, and resolved to go and see what/who the noise was if I encountered it once again. The sound didn't come and I haven't heard it since, much to my dismay, but one day while sitting on my bed with the dog and my Nanny talking to me, I heard a loud cough from the hallway.

I stopped listening to my Nanny and turned towards it with an obvious frown on my face. She watched me for a while, analyzing the expression I was wearing, then asked me if I had heard a cough, to which I replied, quite surprised 'yes'.

She told me that she had heard it before at different places in the house and that she thinks it sounds like my little cousin (who hasn't passed on, by the way) and that she thinks the walls of her house holds sounds and saves them, only to be heard later on. I know there is scientific research on this and so it might be a possible explanation for the noise, but I was wondering what all of you thought? A ghost passing through, or a recorded sound?