Chapter Twenty-Three: Joe, Monday

When Joe returned home from work, he found that Emma was still there, lazily watching TV with Naomi on the couch while Tosh read a book in the armchair.

"Hi, Emma," he said. "Where's your..." He just stopped himself from saying mom or dad. "Where are Rachel and Al?"

"On their way," she said without looking up from the TV. "They're taking Skytrain and walking up. They said Lauren was working late and couldn't drive them home."

"Oh. Huh." Lauren usually called him when she ended up having to work late, or she at least texted him. Did she forget? Or did she neglect to on purpose? Normally Lauren didn't hide her anger, but occasionally she expressed it in pissy little passive aggressive gestures like not calling or texting and letting him pick up the ball for childcare, picking up the kids, reaching out to the in-laws, things like that. It worried him when she did that, since families ran on open telephone lines; one dropped call, one missed communication, and a child was left stranded after a game or school function, prey to any creep who wanted the opportunity. Luckily, all the kids were home today, and maybe Lauren knew that and felt safe enough not to call. He had to give her the benefit of the doubt.

"It's dinner time," he said, seeing the time on the oven clock. "Are you hungry?"

"We had snacks earlier," Naomi said. "We knew you'd be late so we tided ourselves over, if that's okay."

If Naomi's idea of snacks had been apples or grapes (safe to have with no dog in the house,) he might have felt better about it, but his kids, like most kids, raided the chips and candy before they sought out more nutritious snacks.

"Sweetie," he said, "if you knew your mom was going to be late, you should have asked one of us what to have for snacks."

Naomi rolled her eyes. "Do we have to ask your permission to go to the bathroom too?"

Joe blinked in surprise. He was now on the receiving end of cheekiness his daughter reserved for Lauren, and he found it not so amusing anymore. Now he understood Lauren's frustration. "Naomi, can I talk to you over here for a second?"

She sighed and slumped over to him. He sat on the bottom stairs to put himself more at her eye level. Her nose twitched, and she waved her hand. "You need a shower, Dad."

"I'm aware. What's going on?"

"What do you mean?"

"Normally you don't give me back talk. Is everything okay?"

She shrugged. "Fine."

He didn't think she was telling him the whole story, but to press her would be like punching a brick wall. "Okay. Did you have fun today?"

"Yeah, Emma and I sunbathed in the yard for a while--"

"Did you use sunscreen?"

"Yes, Dad," she said with an eye roll.

"Hey, come on, I'm just making sure you're not harming yourself. Aren't I allowed to do that?"

She gave it some thought, then nodded earnestly and said, "Yes."

"Thank you. Well, if you three don't need to eat right away, I'll have a shower and then think about making dinner. If Rachel and Al come to get Emma, don't let them leave, I can give them a ride back to their place."

"Okay, will do."

He hurried through his shower and dressed in sweats. When he returned to the main floor, he found Rachel and Al in the living room, looking a little stony. Emma was getting her shoes on, excitedly planning the next day with Naomi.