Chapter Forty-Two: Joe, Fall, 2009

When Al got down on one knee in front of all of them, Joe was furious. He didn't show it, and he knew he didn't have the right to feel that way, but he couldn't help it, nor was he eager to examine why.

The day had gone so well until then; all of them and their families had gathered at Mrs. Anderson's house on the occasion of Rachel completing her duties as executor of the will, with the handing off of the keys to the house to the New Westminster Historical Society, for their use as a sort of museum, the ceremonial final gesture. Marjorie Wilson, the representative of the Society, had been there to accept the keys, and in her enthusiasm to meet the grown-up children that had lived on Lawrence Street in the Seventies and made such an impression on the older woman, she'd photographed them for a display to go in the museum, a before and after piece side-by-side with photos of them as children, and interviewed them individually to see where they were now.

Admittedly, it had gotten a little weird when Rachel asked to have a seance using a ouija board she and Al had found in the attic, and he'd refused to participate, creeped out by the thought of contacting spirits, even if he hadn't believed for a minute it would happen; some things from his Catholic upbringing had never left him, it seemed. He'd chosen to look after all the kids outside while Al, Lauren, Sunny and Tej joined Rachel for the seance at the kitchen table.

When they emerged outside, Joe saw them and said, "So? Did you get it out of your system?"

"You dodged a bullet," Tej said. "It got a bit spooky."

"It was only spooky because I cried in front of you, and we're not that close yet," Rachel said.

"So, no table knocking? No ectoplasm? No spirits talking through Sunny?" Joe asked.

Rachel laughed and threw her arms around him. He stiffened in surprise at first, but then hugged her back. It felt good, having her in his arms. Maybe too good. It reminded him of another time a tall woman was in his arms, and he had to cut off all communication with his lower body to prevent an erection.

"I love you, Joe," Rachel said. "Thank you for loaning Lauren to me."

It was such a surprising thing for her to say that he was too moved to speak at first. It was the first time any of their reunited friends had ever expressed affection for him, but it sounded so natural coming out of her mouth that he could only respond in kind.

"Love you too, Rachel," he said, choking up.

"Aw!" Lauren said, throwing her arms around both of them. "You two are adorable!"

"I'm serious," Rachel said, and Joe felt her tears soaking his shoulder. "Thank you all for coming back into my life, for being my friends. I really don't know where I'd be without you now."

Suddenly the others were there, wrapping their arms around the three of them. This was the moment Joe wished could have been frozen in time, all of them together, yes, but mainly Rachel and his wife holding him.

"And, cut!" Marjorie said.

They unlocked and looked at the woman, who'd been filming them, apparently. "I couldn't help it," she said, "you're all just so precious. Were you all like this when you were younger?"

Rachel chuckled. "Sometimes."

Marjorie sighed contentedly. "I think I'm going to lock up now and head home for the day. Thank you all again for doing this today. I want you to come back and see how I put it all together in the displays."

Rachel shook her hand. "Sounds good. I really want to see how it turns out. Have a good rest of the day, Marjorie."

"You too." She waved to all of them and went back into the house to close everything up.