you looked so good in green [c.g]

another short chapter ):

pairing; dream/clay + george (dreamnotfound)

prompt; george's anxiety with his colourblindness

title from; green, cavetown

tws; anxiety

---

the world was a dark, gloomy place to george. he hated it, he hated it with all of his heart, but he couldn't change it. he couldn't change how he saw the world. he couldn't change the fact he wasn't able to see the green of clay's eyes, the blush on his cheeks, everything he loved about him.

even if he could see colour, clay told him, it'd still be a dark and sad place. but at least he'd be able to see clay the way he'd always wanted to. so when he ordered those colourblind glasses, george almost started crying. he'd see his dream, the love of his life, his favourite person, in colour.

the process was slow, painfully slow. george had to wait... he didn't even know how long for those glasses. for once, george was willing to wait, but sometimes he wasn't. today, he was staring at himself in a mirror, staring at his ugly dark hair and eyes.

but then, clay would come up behind him and wrap his arms around george and everything would be okay for just a little while longer. hopefully, until the glasses were here, george could deal with this bleak, disgusting world with clay. hopefully.

then finally, the day was here. a small package sat on george's counter, a pair of scissors next to it, waiting to be opened. george was pacing his living room while clay sat at the counter, cheek propped up by his hand, watching his lover with a soft smile.

"wanna go outside to try them on? we can find a flower field or something," clay asked, stopping george where he was. george looked over to him, brown eyes shining, nodding quickly.

"alright, let's go," clay laughed, picking up the package and scissors. he took george's hand and started pulling him out the door and down the stairs. george stumbled after him, careful to avoid the scissors blade.

"shouldn't we take the car?" george managed, excitement and anxiety bubbling up inside him.

clay shook his head. "i figured we could walk back as well and you could see the city in colour."

"oh. that'll be interesting," george nodded, swallowing the lump in his throat.

minutes later, they were sitting in a field, flowers surrounding them. clay was opening the package while george sat, tapping his fingers on his thigh as he waited. once clay finally got them open and put the scissors away, george carefully picked up the glasses, as if they were glass.

george closed his eyes and held his breath as he slipped on the glasses. when he opened them, he saw clay. clay, with his golden hair and sparkling green eyes, his bright smile, and even clay's freckles. he was beautiful to george, possibly the most beautiful thing in this sad world.

he didn't even know he was crying until clay's thumbs smoothed his tears away, until he was gazing into his spring eyes. george lifted a shaky hand to cup clay's cheek, not wanting to look away and see the ugly yellow he always saw.

"you're..." george whispered, unable to finish his sentence as clay kissed him gently.

"here, let's walk around for a bit," clay said once they'd pulled away. he took george's hand and helped him up, leading him around the field, pointing out different flowers.

"wait, wait. that's pink?" george stopped clay, kneeling to pick up a small pink tulip. clay laughed and nodded, sitting down with george and gently picking up more of the tulips.

"really?" george said in awe. he took the first one he'd picked and slid it behind clay's ear, the delicate pink petals peeking out of clay's blond locks.

clay started to weave the pink tulips together into a flower crown, setting it onto george's hair. "there, now you look even prettier."

george rolled his eyes, standing up with clay again. he started tugging clay around the field again, picking flowers until he had a bouquet.

"ready to go back?" clay asked. the sky was turning all sorts of vibrant colours, purples and pinks and yellows streaked across the sky. george shook his head, gaze fixed on above. clay sighed, a small smile on his face, wrapping his arms around george's shoulders.

clay let george watch the sky until it was a soft dark blue, then took his hand and pulled him up. "c'mon, we have to go back before it gets any darker."

"fine," george agreed reluctantly. they walked hand in hand down the streets lit by streetlights, george still pointing at things and clay explaining the colour.

by the time they reached george's apartment, they were exhausted. they'd spent hours in the field, then walked around the city, and now they were back home. george collapsed onto the couch, holding his hands out for clay to be wrapped in. clay lifted the glasses from george's face and set them on the wooden coffee table before climbing into george's arms.

"thank you for today," george mumbled, settling his hands onto clay's back. clay hummed in response.

"your eyes are pretty, by the way."