truth is such a violent force [c.n]

pairing; dream/clay + sapnap/nick

prompt; i got stood up but that's fine because now we're on an unofficial date

title from; hot rod, dayglow

tws; swearing

---

nick's green gaze kept flicking to the entrance, fingers drumming on the tablecloth, trying to ignore the pitying looks the strangers around him sent him. he was holding himself up with his cheek on his left palm while the right hand tapped its fingers restlessly.

the date was nick and his fiancé anniversary. and, since nick's fiancé didn't even bother to text him, nick had no idea if he was coming or not. the answer was most likely no; nick had been waiting for almost an hour now.

just as nick decided he was going to get up and leave, a blond with striking green eyes appeared, sliding into the seat opposite nick.

"sorry i'm late, love! traffic's a bitch tonight," the blond laughed, slipping his coat off. he leaned closer to nick and whispered, "i'm clay. just go along with it, okay?"

nick nodded. "it's fine. why didn't you text or call, dumbass?" he grinned cheekily.

the green-eyed man scoffed, taking nick's hand slowly, as if to tell nick he could let go at any time. "my phone died, obviously."

the restaurant's atmosphere went back to normal. everyone's conversations resumed and the attention on the two went away.

"i'm sorry you got stood up," clay said softly.

"it's fine, really. he does this a lot." they'd stopped holding hands by now, busying themselves with their drinks and menus.

"then he's really a dick. why haven't you broken up with him yet?"

nick held up his left hand. a sparkling ring rested on his ring finger, the diamond centerpiece sparkling in the dim restaurant light.

clay's lips curved into an "o" position. "oops."

"like i said, it's fine." nick looked away, setting his hand back down.

"but we're almost the same! my fiancé broke up with me a few weeks ago," clay's smile returned.

"hello, boys. are we ready to order?" the waitress came back to the table, holding a notepad and pen.

now they were exiting the restaurant, slightly tipsy but not completely drunk. their hands were laced together despite meeting literally an hour ago, swinging back and forth as they walked.

"where're we going?" nick asked, freeing his hand to slide his engagement ring off. he slipped it into his coat pocket and rejoined his hand with clay's.

"we could go to my place or just walk around for a while. both of our cars are still there, right?"

nick shook his head. "my sister dropped me off, so only yours. can we go on a quick walk? the night is beautiful, isn't it?"

"it is," clay agreed. the cheerful bounce in their step decreased to a leisurely stroll beside each other, silence blanketing them.

"are you going to break up with that dick i had to step in for?" clay asked after a few minutes. nick nodded, holding out the hand that previously had his engagement ring on. "yeah, i'll do it tonight or tomorrow. he deserves it anyway."

"do it tomorrow." clay turned his head to smile at nick. "tonight you're gonna be with me."

"awfully confident, aren't we?"

"i suppose."

when they'd finished their walk and returned to the parking lot, clay opened his passenger side for nick, giving a small bow as a joke. it was worth it when nick laughed and sat down in the seat, clicking his seatbelt on while he watched clay circle the front of the car to get to the driver's side.

"so we're off to yours?" nick asked, playing with clay's free hand as he drove with the other. clay nodded, glancing over to nick and giving him a smile. nick smiled back, linking their fingers and sitting back.

the drive was short but sweet, with clay making jokes and nick laughing no matter how bad they were. they stumbled into the apartment building, hand still locked together with no intent to let go of each other. the elevator ride was similar to the drive, but even shorter, since clay lived on the second floor.

"welcome to my humble abode," clay said proudly with a wide grin, reluctantly letting go of nick's hand to help him out of his coat.

"it's so nice," nick replied, smiling at clay for what might have been the millionth time.

"is it okay if i kiss you?" clay asked suddenly. "i know you're technically still engaged and all, but i—"

nick silenced him with his soft lips on clay's. it was quick and not nearly how long nick wanted it to be.

"thank you for tonight, for pretending to be my boyfriend, and for dinner," nick said in a whisper, hand holding clay's jaw gently.

"he doesn't deserve you, anyway," clay breathed. "why don't we sell this piece of shit?" he smiled as he reached into nick's coat pocket and pulled out the ring, the gemstone glinting in the light of his apartment.

"what a lovely idea," nick mumbled onto clay's lips.