lemongrass eyelids [c.n]

hi i didn't know how to end this one

pairing; sapnap/nick + dream/clay

prompt; clay learns a lot of things he never knew about nick while living with him

title from; hot sugar, glass animals

tws; nothing, jus some fluff

---

you'd be surprised how many things you can learn about someone just by living with them for even a few days. if they hate or love the mornings, what time they go to bed, their eating habits, even their favourite foods and drinks.

clay had always been a morning person, so watching nick have to literally drag himself down the stairs to get to the kitchen was amusing. nick would always drop his head onto the marble countertops of the island until clay put a mug of coffee and sometimes a plate of breakfast in front of him. clay found it interesting how nick, after a few sips of coffee, would try to comb out his dark hair and how nick's eyes would slowly become more alert as he drank.

for the first few nights, nick wouldn't even sleep in the room he had upstairs, he would sleep on the couch in the living room. clay figured out pretty soon that nick hated sleeping farther away from someone (he'd grown up having his sisters sleeping with him when they were scared) so clay eventually started picking nick up and carrying him into his room when he fell asleep, so nick had been sleeping down there on occasion just to sleep in the same bed as clay, pretending to not know how or why he was there when he woke up.

those things that clay learned in only the first week made him happy that nick was willing to share that with him. that, or nick wasn't a very "filtered" person and didn't care what others thought. clay told himself it was the first option; he wanted to feel special.

since nick still had school and online classes, clay didn't know much about what nick did during the day. the most he knew about nick happened in the night, such as that nick actually got frequent nightmares, or that nick's sleep schedule was fucked. they tended to stream late at night as well.

on this particular night, nick was on the couch like usual, not quite asleep just yet. his thumb was scrolling on his phone, not particularly looking at anything. he was mostly just doing it so he didn't fall asleep.

nick heard clay's door creak open and put his phone down to look over. clay had his back turned to the couch and was closing his door as quietly as he could.

"clay?" nick asked, sitting up on his elbows. the blond jumped and whirled around to face the tired boy.

"why're you awake?" clay asked, walking over and sitting down on the floor next to the couch. nick shrugged, letting his head fall back against the armrest, pulling the blanket farther over his chest.

"m'kay, well, you're coming to my bed," clay said, scooping nick up in his arms. nick yelped as he dropped his phone to grip clay's shoulder, the device falling to the couch cushion he was previously laying on and bouncing off it, clattering to the hardwood floor.

"what? why?" nick said, clutching his blanket so it didn't fall off his shoulders.

"because the couch is uncomfortable," clay said simply. he shut his door with his foot and dropped nick onto the bed. clay's pc was still running, the keyboard, mouse, and monitors emitting a soft glow in the dark room.

nick sat up on the mattress, crossing his legs as he watched clay sit down in his chair. the blond glanced back at him, raising his eyebrows.

"if i'm sleeping in your room tonight, at least give me some damn cuddles," nick huffed. he folded his arms over his chest, lips curling into a playful pout.

clay laughed. "okay, give me a minute," he nodded as he started to turn off his computer, the room going dark.

the bed dipped under clay's weight as he sat down, hands settling on either side of nick. the dark-haired boy could feel clay's warm breath on his lips, could feel his presence in front of him.

"can i?..." clay trailed off, one hand cupping nick's cheek.

"uh-huh," nick squeaked, cheeks turning pink, mind going blank. clay's hand guided nick's face closer to his until their lips were fitted nicely together, soft and careful and slow. when they parted, it was quiet for a few seconds.

"you want cuddles now?" clay asked, tilting his head and placing a small kiss to nick's forehead.

"yeah..." nick mumbled. clay laid down, pulling nick with him, hugging the younger boy to his chest. nick clumsily tossed his blanket over both of them, nuzzling into the crook of clay's neck.

"damn... i have a lecture or some shit tomorrow," nick groaned, the thought popping into his mind. clay's chest rumbled as he laughed into the peaceful room, a small smile gracing nick's face.

"then why the hell are you going to sleep at..." clay fumbled around for his phone, "two in the morning? what time is your lecture?"

"...seven-thirty."

"jesus christ, go to sleep," clay flicked nick's shoulder tenderly. nick hummed in response, well on his way to sleep.

the morning wasn't much different from their usual mornings, except nick was up first instead of clay. it was around nine when clay got up, not unusual for him, but nick usually got up at around eleven, or even noon sometimes.

nick was sitting with his head hanging off the couch when clay walked into the living room. a controller was in his hand, his thumbs and fingers moving across it smoothly, gaze fixed on the tv even though it was upside down for him.

"i hope you pass out from blood rushing to your head," clay said as he passed the couch into the kitchen. he heard nick's scoff and smiled as he opened the fridge.

"how was your lecture?" he called, taking the milk and chocolate syrup out of the fridge.

"'t was fine," nick yelled back as clay set a two glasses on the counter, pouring milk into each. he stirred the syrup into them, watching the milk turn a pale brown colour.

"okay, stop sitting like that," clay scolded, placing the glasses on the coffee table. nick glanced over, pausing the game he was playing and sitting up. his head spun for a minute from sitting up too fast but it passed quickly.

"you made chocolate milk?" nick asked, eyes shining like a small child's. clay nodded, pointing to the other glass on the table. nick scrambled up and off the couch, opening cabinets and drawers until he found something.

nick ran back to the couch, plunking a green silly straw into clay's glass and an orange one into his own.

"pick a movie," nick ordered, handing clay the remote. he curled up against the blond, chocolate milk in hand, sipping the liquid through the silly straw.

"you're such a child," clay giggled, clicking on a movie and setting the remote down. nick rolled his eyes but didn't reply, instead rested his head on clay's shoulder.