twenty-nine

29. to do good

SMOKE FILLED UP HER lungs, making her gasp awake, hands flying to her throat

SMOKE FILLED UP HER lungs, making her gasp awake, hands flying to her throat. She coughed loudly, but it only made her throat drier. In the darkness of the smoke she reached out, blinking to see but to no avail. She tried to stand up, but as her bare feet found the floor, she still didn't know where she was standing.

She waved her hand to make the smoke go away, but instead it grew thicker. As she took a few steps forward, her feet got wet. She stopped in her tracks to look down, and saw her feet covered in thick, red blood.

She gasped, and then coughed again. As she looked around, not being able to call for help, she didn't know where to go.

Her head twisted around when she heard the buzzing sound of a lightsaber being ignited. She saw the red glow through the smoke, and it became even brighter as the smoke slowly cleared up.

She couldn't see the face of the person with the saber, but she felt cold.

As the last of the smoke cleared up, she coughed one last time. "Who are you?" she yelled at the mysterious figure, cloaked by the utter darkness of the night and the remaining smoke.

There was no answer.

Vada felt her pockets, but she had nothing to defend herself with. She was defenseless with a mysterious creature, somewhere unfamiliar to her.

Suddenly, the figure took a few steps forward. She saw the lightsaber more clearly now, and she recognized it. It was Kylo's. But the creature holding it looked nothing like him. They were masked, yes, but it wasn't his mask, and it wasn't his posture either, she'd recognize it.

She stood up straight and spoke to the creature again, "who are you?"

"You will die, Vada Craene," a mechanical voice replied. Before Vada was able to process it the creature started running towards her.

Vada's eyes widened and as she tried to move, she was glued to the ground. She couldn't move her feet or her hands.

She was rendered defenseless, and as the creature moved closer, lightsaber outstretched, she knew she was going to die.

She didn't close her eyes, she didn't want to die that way. Instead, she looked on as the creature moved closer, and prepared for the pain when the lightsaber was violently jabbed inside of her chest.

She awoke with a gasp, sweat on her forehead and her heart beating louder than ever. Her eyes scanned the unfamiliar room as she slowly sat up. Pain shot through her abdomen, her hands found a in blood covered bandage. With slight fear for what she'd see, she lifted the bandage. Her brows furrowed as she saw nothing, only the remainder of dried-up blood stuck to her skin, but there was no wound.

No matter how confused she was, she decided to not worry about it, for now. She noticed her clothes were the same from when they left Ilum, so it couldn't be more than a day after they left, right? Suddenly it dawned on her what had happened. Someone had shot at her and Kylo.