Chapter 15

I wished I could say that enrollment was my only run in with Michael, but it seemed like he was always around. I only needed English, Math and two electives to meet graduation requirements. I chose P.E. and a teaching assistant class. They ended up putting me in the front office so I mainly filed papers and kept track of the attendance and tardies for the day. It wasn't so bad.

English was my first class and fortunately Michael wasn't in it. I found the class to be very reading and writing intensive. We'd spend this week reading a book on racial prejudices and had to write an essay over the weekend following one of the prompts the teacher gave us. This certainly was more fast paced that my other school, but I wasn't going to pressure myself over grades. All I needed was a sixty percent to pass. If I ended up scraping the bottom, then that's just what would happen.

My next class was math. I made my way to the back of the class like I usually do so as not to attract attention to myself. As I pulled out my notebook and calculator somebody dropped their things on the desk next to me.

"You're all by yourself back here," I looked up to see Michael taking a seat next to me.

I shrugged.

"You don't talk much do you?" he asked eyeing me carefully.

Again I shrugged. I didn't know him. Nobody else was paying me any mind, but it seemed like he was determined. I knew I had to stay low and under the cover at school. I didn't want anyone to get too close to me and get suspicious.

"Well, I'm going to change that," Michael said throwing me a bright smile before reaching into his back pack and pulling out his things.

The classroom slowly began to fill up and eventually there were other kids sitting around Michael and me.

"Why are you way back there?" a girl asked him.

She had short blonde hair and dull blue eyes. She was on the short side too. I watched as her eyes flickered between Michael and me and there was a flash of irritation of her face.

"I'm making friends. Sharon this is Daisy Lynn. Daisy Lynn this is Sharon," he said.

"Nice to meet you," I said.

"Likewise," she said, but it didn't feel like that was the case.

She took her seat in front of Michael and turned around to talk to him effectively taking his attention away from me. My shoulders dropped with relief until I heard Michael say my name.

"Daisy Lynn is new here. She doesn't talk much, but she's pretty nice," he said. The look on Sharon's face didn't seem like she felt the same.

"What's your next class?" he asked.

"I have P.E. next," I said.

"So do I! We can go together and I can show you how to get there," he said.

"Okay," I said. There was no point in refusing him. I didn't know where it was and at least if he was in there I probably wouldn't get picked on.

"I thought you were going to come to my locker after class," Sharon said.

"We can take care of that after school. It's not a pressing issue," he replied.

Sharon turned around stiffly, and a few moments later the teacher walked in. I didn't really care too much for math, so I went in with the same attitude I had with English. I certainly wouldn't aim for a sixty percent, but I stress over it either. As I copied the teacher's example on the board my mind wandered to what the Supreme had shown me.

The image of Hunter and me was haunting. I never imagined that my death could ever cause anyone so much anguish, but over the weeks Hunter and I had grown very close. Some nights we would meet at the lake, other nights we would just talk on the phone. He gave me words of encouragement for school just a few nights ago out at the lake...