Chapter 32

Ayana and Dziko stepped outside and it didn't take long for them to start arguing. I walked up to the window to keep an eye on them. Ayana stood patiently as her sister flung her arms about in frustration.

Hunter walked up and stood behind me as the drama unfolded. And it truly was drama - it wasn't long before Dziko shoved her sister into the dirt. As soon as she tried to walk away a giant root sprouted from the ground and wrapped around her ankles. I watched in awe and shock as Dziko lost her balance and fell right on her face.

Ayana got to her feet and helped her sister up. I immediately noted another difference between them. Dziko had no problem knocking you down and leaving you there. However, Ayana was quick to help you back up. Dziko brushed past her sister once she was standing. Ayana glanced at the house and saw Hunter and I standing there.

Feeling embarrassed for being caught, I tried to get out of view, but Hunter didn't budge. I backed right into him, but it didn't seem like he noticed. I glanced over my shoulder and saw that he was still looking outside.

"Dziko doesn't trust you. You're going to have to spend some quality time with her to change that," he said as we both watched Dziko continue walking until she was completely out of sight.

"Just me?" I asked.

"She doesn't trust me either, but you're the one that has the connection with her. Once you gain her trust, I'll have it too naturally. But her sister will never be able to convince her, unless you play a part as well."

Ayana started walking back to the house, clearly frustrated.

"Judging from how hostile she is, without even being truly provoked, she could very well attack you just because she thinks you're breathing the wrong way. So I'd be careful," he continued.

I didn't really think she was that hostile without a good reason. Under normal circumstances she'd probably more open like her sister, but still have her own level of standoffishness. Before I could reply was Ayana walked through the door. Hunter stepped away, giving me just enough space to turn and face her, but made no attempt to at least try to make it look like we weren't just staring in the window.

She gave us a half-hearted smile, before asking us if we were hungry. My stomach grumbled in response, making us all chuckle before she led us back to the table and brought out the food that she had been making.

As we ate, Ayana told us more about herself. Dziko was the older of the two and spent her days protecting the village or helping to man . She was an official government employee, so that was how they brought in some of their money. Ayana aided with the growth of crops, especially if they had a dry spell.

What surprised me was that everyone knew that they had special capabilities, but Ayana made no mention of encountering Enforcers or Scouts. I wanted to ask her, but at the same time I didn't want to pry. Hunter didn't feel the same way.

"Is this the first that you've encountered others with powers?" he asked.

Ayana shook her head.

"Only once. They were not very pleased that the village people knew about our abilities, but they think we are gods in the flesh. My sister and I thought the same until they explained to us that it was caused by our heritage. But if you really think about it, from a human perspective we are like gods. They chose to leave us alone once they realized that human knowledge caused no harm. At least for the time being."

"For the time being," I sighed. There was a tense silence. We all knew that time was dwindling.

After dinner, Ayana showed me more of her power, while Hunter acquainted himself with the village people. We walked through the forest and she showed me how she listened to the trees. They seemed to lean toward her as she passed them, not wanting her to leave. Plants that appeared dead were brought back to life by a simply touch of her hand. She told me snippets of information about all of the flora we encountered. It was too much for me to absorb at once, but I remembered anything that was really interesting.