Chapter 17

"I know it was you that made that birdie fly like that."

My heart stopped at his words. I felt all the blood drain from my face. A cold sweat broke out over my body. I was dead. So fucking dead.

"What are you talking about?" I asked. I wasn't going to admit to anything. Surprisingly my voice didn't betray the turmoil I had going on inside.

"You know exactly what I'm talking about."

"If I knew, I wouldn't have asked," I retorted.

I tugged at his grip. My arm didn't even a fraction of an inch. Jake wasn't even fazed by it and I was using everything I had. What was this guy on?

"Let me go," I hissed.

"Calm down. We're both the same. You don't have to worry about me ratting you out," he sounded a little irritated, but he complied.

"You're a-," I couldn't bring myself to finish the statement.

He nodded.

"I knew I didn't hit the birdie that hard. I made sure of it. So when it went flying like that I was more than shocked. Couldn't get it off my mind for the entire day. Hell, the past two weeks. It wasn't obvious that it was you at first, but once I got a close up look at you I put two and two together. You have the Mark. And I'm not sure I want to know why you have the Mark of the Supreme.

"At first I thought I was seeing things, and I probably shouldn't tell you this, but I will anyway. My cousin is good friends with a tracker. His abilities are outright uncanny. He can pull you in, chase you down or keep you away. Once he senses you he never forgets and he can always find you. Long story short he confirmed my suspicions. I probably shouldn't have scared you like that, but the look on your face was priceless," he chuckled at the end.

"You're just as bad as that friend of yours. God....is he like us?" I asked. If Martin was an Unknown then I'd to deal with him for the next few centuries. We didn't live forever, but given our increased lifespans I'd probably have a premature from frustration if he was around for that long.

"No. He has no idea. There isn't a human that I trust enough with this secret. Maybe in a few years when he's more mature. I doubt that he'll do anything, but I know that my friend is an asshole. He's the type of person that'll jokingly hint at it in public and next thing you know, you're getting your ass handed to you by an Enforcer," he said. I swallowed thickly at that.

"Is your entire family, you know...?" I was afraid to say the word 'Unknown' in the hallway. I felt like someone would jump out at me if I did.

Jake shook his head.

"No. Just my brother, my cousin and me. I'm guessing we have some dormant genes that are making themselves known now," he noted.

"What can you do?" I asked.

"What do you think?"

I thought about it. He'd really hurt me when he grabbed me. I assumed that he was just really strong, but maybe there was more. He was probably a lot stronger than how he'd grabbed me.

"Strength," I said. He nodded.

"You?"

"Water. I used the sweat on the birdie."

"Nice," he said, a smile sweeping across his face. I could see why he and Michael were friends. The only reason Jake was less abrasive was because he had a secret to hide.

"We should probably go get dressed," he said.

I nodded. It was nice to know I wasn't the only one with secrets to hide.