[ CHAPTER SEVENTEEN ]

[ N E R V O U S ]

[ N E R V O U S ]

Saturday came by quicker than Tasha had expected. Around three in the afternoon, she and Monika were standing on the porch of the Johnson residence, dresses and other items in hand. Neva and her parents lived in a spacious one story home. It was peach-colored and the front yard was embellished with daises and tall coconut trees.

Neva's mother was the one to open the door after Monika had knocked. "Hello girlies!" The woman greeted, nearly blinding the girls with her dazzling white smile. "Neva's in the shower but y'all can get started with getting ready."

After being let in, Tasha and Monika made their way into Neva's room and began pulling out and sorting their outfits. Tasha snickered when she saw how much jewelry Monika had pulled out of a tiny box.

"Hey, don't poke, ya hater!" Monika complained. "I already feel indecisive enough."

"You're wearing a dress that covers a good portion of your neck; are you sure a necklace is even necessary?" Tasha pointed out.

"Little details matter, Tash," Monika declared.

"Besides, what's the harm in a lil' necklace action? Necklaces are sexy."

Neva had entered the room just then in only a fuzzy pink towel, eyes narrowed in Monika's direction.

"Did you just say necks are sexy?"

Monika's eyes widen. "No!" She practically shouted, embarrassed. Tasha laughed even harder.

"Aye, ain't no shame on this side. I think 'Miah's neck is sexy."

Tasha immediately stopped laughing, directing her disgusted look to Neva. "Gross!"

Neva moved over to her vanity mirror, continuing as if she hadn't heard Tasha. "His neck looks like chocolate...I be wantin' to lick it sometimes."

Both Tasha and Monika scrunch their noses.

"What the fuck?"

"Neva...no."

Neva waved both of her best friends off. "Prudes!"

Neva turned on the radio as the three of them got dressed. 'Creep' filtered through the speakers as the half-dressed Uh Girls pretended that they were the famous singing trio performing at a concert in an arena filled by a million people.