[ CHAPTER NINETEEN ]

[ T A S H A  A N D  K I N G S T O N ]

[ T A S H A A N D  K I N G S T O N ]

The year was 1994; adolescents with newly acquired drivers licenses were pimping out their rides, artists from Green Day to Boyz II Men to Biggie were hot on every local radio, and some boys in Beverly Hills, California still acted like they owned a heart.

Tasha Campbell, too enthralled in her book, jumped up in her spot on the bleachers when Monika Lively and Neva Johnson abruptly sat down to accompany her. The pair let out teasing giggles at their best friend's fright.

"So not funny." Tasha grouses as she pushes her curls out her face.

"Why's you reading a book? Aren't you supposed to be watching Kingston? " Neva queries, gesturing in the general direction of the football field where junior varsity and varsity football tryouts were taking place. Tasha took a glance at the field before moving her eyes back to her friends.

"Kingston knows I don't care much for football or sports, so he told me that my presence would be enough motivation for him," a flirtatious smile adorned Tasha's lips then, "he said nothin' 'bout needin' to pay attention."

"Worst girlfriend ever." Neva grunts with a playful smile.

Tasha waved Neva off before changing the subject. "Yeah, yeah, whatever. How did Nehemiah and Marcus's tryouts go?"

"The coach told 'em both to expect to see they names be on the varsity team list next week," Monika answered breezily, eyeing her perfectly manicured nails.

"And after they left the court, they both went apeshit." Neva finished.

Tasha snorted. "Jesus. Good for them though."

"Yeah. They're happy, so Moni and I wanted to take 'em out for pizza after this. You think you and Kingston will be down?"

Before Tasha could respond, a dark hand cupped her cheek. The motion caused her head to face forward. She was greeted with a flash of pearly white teeth before her lips were caught in a kiss.

Kingston Walker pulled away from the chaste kiss a moment later, a grin still on his lips.

"Guess who just made it into varsity, gorgeous?"

Tasha's eyes widen; she almost drops her book in a moment of forgetfulness. "Wait, what? That fast?"

"That fast." Kingston confirmed before turning his head to Monika and Neva. "Ladies,"