[ CHAPTER TWELVE ]

[ R U M O R S  O N  T H E  F I E L D ]

Practice was just as gruesome as Brandon remembered. All the running, sweat, mud, and tackles made him feel at home; even Coach Martin's aggressive screaming oddly brought him solace. He takes a large breath as he sits on the bench, resting his sore bones while intaking half a gallon of water in three gulps. Kingston, Dylan, and his other friends laugh at him.

"Didn't I tell you guys that even missing one day of practice will bitch you out?" Dylan gestures to Brandon with a cocky smile, "prime example."

Brandon flips Dylan off before he leans back to shut his eyes and relax. Kingston moves his eyes to the cheerleaders on the other side of the field, licking his lips in interest. He nudges Dylan to get his attention. "Aye, the girls are staring at us like we're food or something."

Dylan snorts, his eyes raking over one cheerleader in particular. "They're always doing that."

Kingston smirks. "Well since we on break, I think we should entertain 'em." Dylan thinks it over for a second before he shakes his head. "Nah, I'll keep B company. Try to keep his tired ass awake before Coach finds him sleeping."

Kingston shrugs. "Your loss. More girls for me." Kingston promptly made his way over to the practicing cheerleaders, most of whom eyed him with batting eyelashes as they purposely kicked their legs up higher to put certain assets on display.

Dylan plops down on the bench next to Brandon and releases a huge breath. There is a short silence between them before Brandon speaks up, his eyes still closed. "So...you like my sister."

Dylan snaps his head to Brandon with his eyes widened. "What? No, I don't." Dylan denies, but Brandon knew better.

Brandon looks to Dylan. "C'mon McKay, this is me you're trying to lie to," Brandon rolls his eyes before he looks over to his twin on the other side of the field, "I wouldn't worry too much about it though."

"Whaddya mean by that?"

"As good as she plays off being cool, Brenda likes you too, and it's obvious."

Dylan's shoulders tense. "It's obvious?"

"It's obvious."

Dylan side-eyes Brandon suspiciously. "Wait a minute, you're chill with all this?" Brandon shrugs.

"You're my best friend. She's my sister. At least I know who you are, I'd freak the fuck out if she started dating some guy I didn't know, he might secretly sell dope on the street." And with that, Brandon and Dylan both start laughing their asses off.