Sixteen

A few hours later, you stood at his door, wondering if you should just walk in or knock. What would you say? You were so nervous, you had never done anything like this before. But you knew you had to as you felt so angry on that table for not telling him how you felt. Even if he didn't feel the same, you needed to know.

Finally you knocked on the door, quickly, holding your breath, and closing your eyes. The door swung open and you opened your eyes to see Rogers stood there smiling, "hey."

"Hi" you smiled back and put your hands in your pockets. You hadn't really thought passed this part of the interaction, and now you felt awkward and uncomfortable.

"Did you want to come in?" he asked, finally breaking the silence between you. You nodded and he stepped aside to let you walk passed him.

You heard the click of the door lock and Rogers leaned back on the door, folding his arms over his chest. You walked to the end of his bed which was pretty much in the middle of the room, near enough the same layout as yours except he had a few more personal items around.

"How're you feeling?" Thankfully, he broke the silence first.... Again.

"I'm OK. A bit confused, but OK." You smiled brightly, trying to push your cheeks up to reach your eyes as you had read that smiles that didn't reach the eyes were fake. And you didn't want him to think you were faking it.

"Confused about what?" Rogers pushed himself away from the door and moved closer to you.

"I didn't come over to talk about that..." you sighed. "I wanted to talk about...."

You weren't sure how to broach the subject; how do you ask a guy if he liked you? Or tell a guy you like him? Do you just say it? Say it out right? Or explain everything first, like they do in the movies.

As you were unsure on the "real world" way to do it, you went about it the long way. "You believed me, right? Before we went. You believed our place was the correct one, right?

"Of course I did." He smiled, and his smile reached his eyes. A genuine smile which looked like it would even make men wet.

"Then why didn't you fight for me?" You were genuinely curious why he didn't say anything. Why didn't he try and explain that you should go? Why was it Clint that went behind Tony's back and took you?

"I did." He sighed, sitting on the edge of his bed and leaning forward, resting his elbows on his knees. "I walked out the room and you were gone. I just thought you had gone off to your room. I found Tony and tried to get him see that having you out there was the right thing. That I knew you were right just by that look when you saw the building; you were scared."

You both sighed as he looked down to the floor, "But he didn't listen. He got in his plane and said it's now or never. I saw the car go.... I, I didn't realise you were in it. If I had, I would have followed you."

You sat next to him on the bed as turned and looked you straight in the eyes, "I hate the thought that you were back there. If those three were just a few seconds slower..."

"But they weren't. They got me, I'm fine." You interrupted, taking his hands in yours, seeing him fidget. You did it without really thinking, it just felt like the right thing to do; you needed his touch, too.

"You're not though are you? Fine, I mean." Rogers questioned as you frowned to him.

"You have a tell. Every time you say I'm fine, you get a little crease right there" he lifted his hand and gently put his finger between your brows, feeling the little crease you didn't know was showing. "Like you're trying to control what your face does."