Chapter 7

It was getting late and Willa knew Steve wasnt going to be coming back until this fight was over. But since she knew SHIELD still had the project that could control her she wasnt going to go and fight them.

"Hey get some sleep. I'll keep an eye out just incase." Sam says.

"Im not a child Sam. I can stay awake and worry about my friend." Willa says.

"Friend. Thats not what that is." Sam mumbles to himself.

"What was that?" Willa asks.

"I said Captain America can handle himself and wouldnt want you to worry." Sam says.

"Right." Willa says.

She started playing with the bracelet she has had for a year now and she frowned.

"He gave that to you didnt he?" Sam asks pointing at the bracelet.

"Yeah he did. It was a gift." Willa says.

"Well thats nice. Now can you please go to sleep. Last night you watched Fury die and you havent slept since you got here. Please for Steve's sake." Sam says.

Willa slightly nodded and went into the guest bedroom. She laid in the bed and thought about Steve.

"Where the hell was he?" Willa asks looking at the clock.

"And why is Sam making me go to bed now? Its 7:30pm." Willa says sitting up.

Steve however was at an old army base in New Jersey which was far from DC. Looking around the old army camp that Steve was trained at made him remember his past and everything from it.

"This place is a dead end. Zero heat signatures, zero waves, not even radio. Whoever wrote the file must have used a router to throw people off." Nat says as Steve looked around.

He then noticed that something wasnt were it should be. Like the fact that there was a place to store munitions within 500 yards of the barracks.

"This building is in the wrong place." Steve says.

He used his SHIELD and broke the lock on the door and they proceeded in. Thats when they noticed the SHIELD logos everywhere.

"This is SHIELD." Nat says.

"Maybe where it started." Steve says.

They made their way through and saw photos of the founders of SHIELD. Such as Howard Stark and Peggy Carter. Looking around more Steve noticed something else alittle strange.

"If your already working in a secret office. Why hide the elevator." Steve says.

They got into the elevator and went down only to end up in another lab of very old tech.

"This cant be the data point. This technology is ancient." Nat says.

As she looked at the old computers and stuff she noticed one thing modern where she could place the flash drive.

Just like that everything started up and the computer camera looked at them both and knew who they were.

"Its must be a recording." Nat says.

"I am not a recording, Fraeulein. I may not be the man I was when the Captain took me prisoner in 1945. But I am." The computer says.

"You know this thing?" Nat questions.

"Arnim Zola was a German scientist who worked for the Red Skull. He's been dead for years." Steve says circling around the computer.

"First correction, I am Swiss. Second, look around you. I have never been more alive. In 1972, I received a terminal diagnosis. Science could not save my body. My mind however, that was worth saving, on 200,000 feet if databanks. You are standing in my brain." Zola says.

"How did you get here?" Steve asks.

"Invited." Zola says.

"It was Operation Paperclip after World War 2. SHIELD recruited German scientists with strategic value." Nat says.

"They thought I could help their cause. I also helped my own." Zola says.

"HYDRA died with the Red Skull." Steve says.

"Cut off one head, two more shall take its place." Zola says.

"Prove it." Steve says.

Zola told them about how HYDRA was founded and that if they tried to take freedom others will just fight back. Talking about how SHIELD was then founded and that he was recruited.

"A new HYDRA grew a beautiful parasite inside SHIELD. For 70 years, HYDRA has been secretly feeding crisis, reaping war, and when history did not cooperate, history was changed." Zola says.

"Thats impossible. SHIELD would have stopped you." Nat says.

"Accidents will happen." Zola says.

He should them photos of Howard Stark died in a car wreak and how Nick Fury was now gone.

"HYDRA created a world so chaotic that humanity is finally ready to sacrifice its freedom to gain its security. Once they do a new order of HYDRA will arise. We won, Captain. Your death amounts to the same as your life. A zero sum." Zola says.

That made Steve very upset that he punched the giant computer screen.

"Whats on this drive?" Steve asks angrily.

"Project Insight requires insight. So I wrote an algorithm." Zola says.

"What kind of algorithm? What does it do?" Nat asks.

"The answer to your question is fascinating. Unfortunately, you shall be too dead to hear it." Zola says.

Just then the door shut and Nat's phone started beeping with an alert.

"Steve we got a bogey. Short range ballistic. 30 seconds tops." Nat says.

"Who fired it?" Steve asks.

"SHIELD." Nat says.

"I am afraid I have been stalling, Captain. Admit it. Its better this way." Zola says.

Nat grabbed the flash drive as Steve quickly found a vent and opened it. The explosion went off and he and Nat both jumped into it.

Holding the SHIELD up so nothing to fall and hit them. Once everything was done Steve got the parts of the build that had cover where they were off.

But Nat was unconscious so Steve carefully picked her up and got her out if there. Just before he left he saw quinjets coming and he knew who it was. So he ran off hoping he could get away before they could catch him and lucky for him he did.