T H I R T E E N

Present Mic subbed for the class after lunch, and Katsuki made sure to leave a sticky note on his work that may have caused the man to turn red.

It was easy though; the work. Katsuki had always done well in school. Somewhere in his mind a little voice still had hope that his mother would stop, that if he proved her wrong then she'd love him. But he knew, staring out the window, that she'd never change. He watched the Yuuei gate be swarmed with reporters as a hero came to check in. He didn't exactly care about the fame of being a hero, he'd decided that long ago in his little cabinet. He just wanted to help people, to stop their pain. Deep down, he knew that if he became a hero it wouldn't change anything. His mother would take his wages and she'd keep hurting him, but he really, really hoped that he'd get a chance to move out at some point. 

Every once in a while he got this voice in his head that whispered at him to do bad things. Villainous things that would've benefited him. One time he was in the cabinet and the voice told him to just blast open the door and eat as much as he could. Another time it told him to stab his mother so that she'd stop. He hated that voice, but he had acted on it once or twice. He started doodling on a blank sheet of notebook paper to stop these thoughts. They persisted.

---

He stood in the neighborhood of Mrs. Kayama, drinking from a juice box that he'd gotten from the kind woman's husband. He was watching the neighborhood kids play. They never asked him to join, but they weren't ignoring him either. Ever since he stopped the razor thief, the kids, both younger and older, would bring him gifts from their parents. He was the guardian of the neighborhood now. And since no one but the Kayama's knew his name, they called him Purotekuta, or protector. Most of the time the adults used the full word to call to him, but the children simply called him Purote. He liked it. It was someone else. It wasn't him.

It was during this day, in the bright daylight of the afternoon when he was once again called upon. The other kids quickly ran and hid at the sight of an unknown person. Purote, they'd called him Purote He had to protect them. He charged his quirk, yet didn't move yet. This person hadn't done anything dangerous yet. When the person was close enough for him to see their expression, he growled, the man had the same look that his renters had. He knew what this man was looking for, and he refused to let that happen to anyone else if he could help it. taking a few steps forward, he allowed his voice to carry across the street,

"Lookin' for somethin', fuckwad?" The man's face twisted and he yelled something that Purote couldn't understand. The man was drunk. He hated drunks. So he popped a few small explosions from his palms and started stepping forward again. He stopped when he was a few steps away from the disgusting man. Then he spun and roundhouse kicked the man, causing the drunk to stagger back.

"Leave and don't return, you're not welcome here" he spat, explosions popping without him thinking. When the man's eyes narrowed, Purote heard a little voice whisper directions to him. He followed without a thought, placing a palm to the man's chest, only because he couldn't quite reach his neck. From there, he released explosions, causing the man to howl. A smirk adorned Purote's face as he watched the man run away, holding his burnt shirt and skin. A kid maybe a few grades younger than him hugged him from behind, chanting words that he would never forget:

"Purotekuta! Our hero can blast villains back!" Purote spent minutes trying to explain that he was no hero, but other kids joined, celebrating their hero. Purote spent that whole week finding wild flowers surrounding his favorite spot beside the road.

---

Katsuki blinked, staring down at the drawing he'd made. 'Purote', he hadn't heard that in a while. He hoped those kids were okay. The sketch was of the flowers by the road., Daisies and Dandelions mostly, but there were a few roses that he remembered to be pink as a thank you as a few kids had told their parents. And managed to get the roses. Katsuki still had a few petals that he'd pressed in his school notebooks. 

He glanced up at the clock. Still thirty minutes left of class. Now that he could actually focus, he added the details. He shaded the road in and added the details to the flower heads. The juice box he'd had at the time he added in front of the flowers on the dark cement. He was craving Mr. Kayama's curry right now. He'd learned to cook from the sleep-inducing man, though it took a while to build a resistance to the man's quirk. He missed them. Checking the time again, he quickly signed the paper with 'Purote' and folded it up. There was five minutes left. Present Mic made the announcement to turn the work in and clean up, causing a few to groan and start scribbling. When the bell rang, Katsuki waited for the bakusquad.

Shitty hair was the first beside him, smiling. "We're still going to the arcade right?"

"Course we are, fuck you take me for?"

Kirishima shrugged and Katsuki scowled, play punching the shark-like teen.

Katsuki walked through. the school, Midnight smiling at him when she saw him. He left the drawing on the floor by the shelves. He'd visit them this weekend if they would forgive him for not visiting.

Word Count: 984

((Grammar and Spelling fixed))