Chapter 13: When You Wish Upon a Star

"Why don't you take mine instead?"

I froze, looking up to him in shock. My heart skipped a beat, and my stomach felt all fluttery. The world seemed to stop as his red eyes pierced mine in the slight darkness.
He reached into his coat and pulled out a lampgrass stem, the bloom glowing brilliantly in the night. I unknowingly held my breath as he brought it forward, holding it gently between his gloved fingers.
My eyes widened and my mouth was slightly agape, at a loss for words. I felt my cheeks fill with color as Diluc brought the flower forward. He held it out for me, and I could do nothing but carefully take it in my hands.
I twirled it in my fingers. The bulb of the lampgrass was pristine, glowing brightly under the stars. I could tell that great care had been taken to pick out the flower, as it's quality seemed unmatched to the ones I had seen at the flower stands.
"...Do you like it?" Diluc said quietly, glancing down to the flower.
"It's the most pristine lamp grass I've ever seen," I said, my heart racing. These feeling clouded my mind, I had no idea what to say. I felt worried that if I said something it would come out wrong, and I didn't want to ruin this moment. "It's... thank you,"
Diluc took a deep breath, "I'm glad..." he said, sighing. "I came out here so confident but... it's very different in person."
I nodded, not knowing what to say. "I-I'm at a loss for words," I said simply. "It's just... so-"
"So much harder to put it into words," he said, finishing my sentence perfectly. He turned and gazed to the stars.
"Yeah, that's exactly it," I smiled. I felt like a weight had lifted off my shoulders. I held the lamp grass to my chest, admiring the light it gave off.
Gazing off towards the stars with him, I carefully put my hand on his arm. He turned to me, having noticed the contact. "Do you want to sit down? I... want to be here for a little longer..." I said nervously. "If you don't mind."
Diluc studied me for a moment before stepping back, holding out an open palm. "I'd like that," he said.
I carefully set my hand on his, my stomach fluttering. My ears twitched nervously, but relaxed as we walked to a nearby bench. I sat next to him, folding my hands in my lap nervously.
As we watched the stars, my mind raced. He's right there, he's right next to me. I could practically feel the warmth radiating from him.
"Y/n?" He spoke up. It had been silent for a few moments. Although it wasn't uncomfortable, the air seemed tense as I struggled to form my feelings into words.
I looked over to him, looking into his eyes carefully. "Yeah?"
"That pie that you made," he began, glancing at me quickly. "It was... good."
The air seemed lighter. "I'm glad you liked it," I said, smiling. "I could make it again sometime, if you'd like."
"I would," he said. He turned to me, holding his hand out again. "Rememeber when we went to get the berries? And we had lunch?"
This time, I held his hand without hesitating. "I do," I said, smiling more as my cheeks went redder. Even though I felt more embarrassed, I felt my timidness fade away.
"Can we do that again?" Diluc said, giving his small smile.
"I'd... love to do that," I said. I tried to appear calm, but my ears were perked and it took everything I had not to leap with joy.
I wrapped my hand around his arm, taking a leap of faith and pulling him closer. He seemed taken aback at first, but then he relaxed. "You know, I had come out today with a clear plan in my head. What I was going to say, everything," He said. "But then, when we started walking over here, I just... I don't know." He furled his brows, confused by the ordeal. "It was like I'd forgotten all of it."
"I thought that you had more pep to your step earlier," I began, looking at the sky again. "Me too, though. I picked out a lovely flower and everything, and I forgot it," leaned my head on his shoulder carefully, my heart beating out of my chest. "You were still pretty smooth though, with the 'Take my flower instead' thing."
I glanced at him, his cheeks flushed a little. "You... think so?" He said nervously. "I don't know, I just... said it. At least it worked," he chuckled.
"I'm glad I moved here," I said, the stars filling my eyes again. "I wasn't sure at first if it was the right idea. Alchemy is... not easy, to say the least. But I see now that it was well worth it."
"Why do you think that is?" Diluc questioned, his head looking back down towards me.
I looked up at him, swallowing my nervousness. "Because if I hadn't, I never would have met you."
His eyes widened a little. "Do you really mean that?" He asked, his cheeks flushing more.
Diluclooked back up to the sky, not knowing what to say. I looked up too, enjoying the company he gave me. I wondered if I had said too much.
A bright flash of light briefly crossed the sky, my eyes widening as I saw it.
"Did you see that?" He asked quickly.
"Yeah, I did!" I gasped, watching as the shooting star zoomed across the sky. The brilliant sight glowing brightly before disappearing, the spectacle over too quick.
"What are the chances?" He said with wonder.
"Did you make a wish?" I asked, and he looked to me, intrigued. "My mom always told me that when you wish on a shooting star, it most certainly will come true."
"You think so?" He asked, looking back to the sky. "I'm not sure what to wish for..."
"I wish..." I began, thinking hard. "I wish that you will always be happy, and have good company."
Diluc turned back to me. "I already have good company," he said. He carefully broguht his other hand to my face, brushing it gently. "She's right here."