Chapter 6 - Ogroid oil -

The next morning Jaskier planned on leaving almost immediately. "In a rush are we?" I asked him and pulled him back by the lute. "I still have a job to do." I told him and he raised a brow. Right, I didn't tell him about it. "There's a relict out there that lets people disappear that reach his territory." I told him. He frowned. "A wha- a relict? Don't tell me it's a djinn again. If so, I'm not coming. That's a party all for yourself then." he said and extended his arms. "Nothing like that. Deadlier." I mumbled the last part, don't need him to hear that. He sighed in relief. "Alright, then let's head out, shall we?"

We had to go deep into the woods, as these creatures prefer nighttime or at least darker areas, like caves and underground areas. "Tell me, what's this thing about?" Jaskier asked as he pushed a branch of a tree just above his head to get through the thicket. "It's..." how do I put it without scaring this poor man to death? "it's the guardian of the forest, one could put it that way. It controls animals and plants, lets them appear and disappear as it wishes. Watch out for crows. They're often around a Leshy." I instructed the bard of what we were dealing with. 

"A guardian? Sounds rather... well, peaceful to me, don't you think?" he asked. I looked quickly at him before turning my gaze back to step over a rotten log. "It's not the type of guardian you know from Temeria or Novigrad. These are more like Nilfgaards guardians, reckless and... keen on killing everything in their way." He gulped and flinched a little. "You think then it's a good idea to go into that territory of this thing?" he yelled in a whisper and flinched again when he heard crows. "How else am I supposed to get it then?" I asked him with raised brows and he bit his lips. "I don't know. Do some of your- your witchery things." he answered and I rolled my eyes. 

I extended my arm to prevent Jaskier from going any further. "Wha-" before he could continue to say any more I shushed him and pointed at a pack of Nekkers that were feasting on a corpse. His eyes widened. "Stay here, if anything happens... just scream." I ordered and took my silver sword into my hands. It was five, maybe six if one was in hiding but the amount was not much of a problem. Nekkers are weak but their agility is a problem. Vesemir told me, One Nekker is harmless. Five are dangerous. Ten can kill even a veteran monster slayer. So my situation here is dangerous. Obviously. Especially when a Leshy lurks around these woods, using the Nekkers as a defence before it has to fight itself. I leaned against a tree and fumbled on my belt to look for Ogroid oil to pour over my swords, which would give me an advantage. I popped the small glass bottle open and poured the sticky brown liquid over my blade. Smells like flowers and bears...

To reduce the group I would have to use the element of surprise. By that, my chances are high that I'll get at least two of them down, maybe even three. With swift and noiseless steps I made my way to the next tree, the closest to the group. I gave a quick glance towards the Nekkers, who were expecting nothing. Good. With a slash and a growl from the monsters, I managed to decapitate one and another one lost both legs. I rammed my sword into the skull of the monster that was laying on the ground, hissing and growling. The other ones didn't wait for a separate invitation and charged at me. Three are still tricky but not as hard to handle as five. 

My blade only striped one of them as their skin, on the spot they've touched the blade, began to smoke slightly. The oil was leaving marks on their skin. It would distract them a little, confuse them so that they hesitate and at that moment I had a chance on easily taking them down. That I did. The two left Nekkers exchanged a look, whether to run away or not because now there was no chance for them in winning this fight. Before they had decided whether to escape my blade or keep fighting it was too late for them, as they now shared their grave along with their brothers.

I kneeled down to the corpse, that was lying a few meters away now, on which the Nekkers were feasting. I inspected it and they had really massacred this person. The face didn't give any more clues of it being male or female. I could only identify it as a man by the wide shoulders and bigger built torso. Around the neck, or what was left of that, hung a necklace to which were some teeth and an orange gemstone in the middle. It was covered in blood, dried blood. I ripped it from the corpse to ask around the village to whom this had belonged. To identify the body. 

"Eve." I heard Jaskier say with an insecure voice. "Eve, we have a- a, uh, situation going on here." he said, now a little louder. I frowned and got back to my feet and looked in his direction. He was rushing towards me and I nodded at another tree for him to hide as I looked in the direction from where Jaskier had just come. Crows, a lot of them and the ground was moving, roots came out of the ground and disappeared again. The tree began shaking a little, its branches cracking and growing then shrinking back to its normal form.

It's too late to wipe that oil off of my blade and pour Relict oil over it and I don't dare to risk pouring oil over another one. Who knows which side effects this would bring with it. Demeritium bombs..! Who thought I would actually need them someday. Would have been useful now. My only advantage now was Igni.