Chapter 37 - Pack your things -

Geralt's pov

The halls of Kaer Morhen were empty. No one was in the main hall. Something was off. I walked around the building to find any traces of Ciri when I finally heard a voice. "Are you certain?" It was Vesemir's. I walked through the entrance to the basement and found Vesemir along with Ciri. She was tied to one of the beds that once were used for the trial. Vesemir was about to inject something into her arm, and with 'something' I knew very well what it was. "What are you doing?" I asked and Vesemir stopped immediately. Ciri's eyes shot open and she sat up. "Geralt." 

"She's meant to be. To rebuild us." Vesemir said as I approached him. "She is not." I growled. "She's a girl. All you'll do is poison her." I said. It was an excuse. After what happened with Evelyn we knew that girls could make it too but she hadn't had to know about this. "She can do this." Vesemir urged. "I made him do it, Geralt." Ciri tried to defend him. I removed, rather roughly, the chains around her one wrist. "Stop. I wanted him to try. Geralt, stop!" she exclaimed and pushed her feet against me while I was removing the chains from her ankles. 

"Did you not think of the consequences? What if you were killed?" I asked her and removed the other chain from her ankle. "Stop!" she demanded and stopped me from removing the last chain on her other wrist. "Stop!" she repeated. "All I ever think about are consequences. No matter how hard I train, no matter what I do, it'll never be enough." she said through gritted teeth. "You are already enough, Cirilla. You are extraordinary." I tried to explain over and over again. She would never understand, as it seems. 

"I want to be like you, Geralt. I want to be like Evelyn. I know she did this, too. And she survived. I want to be indifferent to the past. To the lies. To the things I've done. Please. Let me at least try. Let me have that." she begged and had tears in her eyes. I bent down to her level. "That is not how it works. Neither you nor I can just forget who we are. We can't kill our feelings. Our best chance is to kill the hatred that we may hold onto... and move on." a few tears made their way down on her face as I said that. She gulped away a sob. "Why did you let her do it then?" she asked desperately.

"I didn't. I would never have. It was an accident. I almost lost her and we all don't want to fear for your life as we did for hers." I explained and she bit her lip, nodding. She held her wrist out and let me take the chain off of it. I helped her stand up and put a hand on her shoulder. "Go and get your things." I told her and she walked off without another word. I looked over at Vesemir who looked down on his hands in which he held the syringe. 

The next day Ciri and I left Kaer Morhen. "How much further is it?" she asked as we walked through a tight passage of rocks. I let her sit on Roach while I walked beside her, holding onto the reins. I didn't answer her question. "Where are we even going?" she asked. I also didn't mention that to her. I just told her to pack her things. "At least at Kaer Morhen, we were safe." she said and looked through the alley that got thinner and thinner. "The Trial of Grasses isn't safe." I said, referring to the actions that took place yesterday. "Not listening again." she mumbled and I could hear her roll her eyes. 

"You want to kill yourself trying to become a mutant so if you survive, you can kill yourself trying to get revenge. Which part did I miss?" I asked her about the part of me not listening. "You don't really give a shit about what I want. All you care about is your... damn duty." she stated. "So long as I'm breathing, you've done your part. I need more than that." she said in between pauses, noticing that I wouldn't answer. "Ciri..." I sighed and stopped Roach for a moment. "I do understand." I started saying but stopped when I heard wings flapping somewhere around here. 

"What's up there?" she asked as I kept my gaze at the sky, through the green leaves of the trees. There was no snow left on the rest of the continent as it appears. It always takes a lot longer to melt in the northern part of the Blue mountains. Whereas here in Temeria spring was around the corner. "Do you- do you hear something?" she asked. "Come on, Roach." I pulled her reins slightly and kept on walking. We walked out of the thin passage and on the path right outside the forest, near the river.

"This is the shallowest part of the river. I'll check if it's safe to cross." I said and stopped by a tree. "What do you mean, safe?" Ciri asked with confusion written all over her face. "I'll try and draw it out first." I said. "Draw what out?" Ciri was nervous, going by the swing of her voice. "It's some kind of chernobog." I said. "I don't know what that is. But let me help-" she started. "Stay here." I instructed.

I stepped into the fresh and cold water of the river, stepping into it until the water reached my knees. A roar appeared from the forest across and a chernobog came flying out of it. "Geralt!" Ciri shouted. "Geralt, get back here!" she demanded as Roach was stepping nervously around. 

It saw me and flew directly in my direction with screeching noises. When it was close enough I sent it back with Aard. Its back never touched the water. It caught himself before that and started to fly a circle above the river before coming at me again. This time, it was prepared for my Aard and it flew onto the path. "Ciri, down!" I shouted, hoping she would be fast enough. Roach whined and I saw Ciri falling off of her. The chernobog flew away, so it seemed. "Run! Run! Run!"

I ran out of the river to check on Ciri. my eyes widened when I saw her alright but Roach lying on the ground with three deep cuts of the claws. Her leg and the lower part of her torso were open and blood was dripping from her mouth. I kneeled next to where her head was lying and petted her neck. "Easy, girl." 

"Is there anything we can do?" Ciri asked as she was kneeling beside Roach as well. I sighed. There was only one answer to this and she knew it. I pulled out the pocket knife from my boot, keeping it still in my hand. I didn't want to do this... but I had to. Ciri stood up and walked away a little, turning her back towards the scene. "Enjoy your last walk across the meadow and through the mist." I said. Roach wheezed and her breath became unsteady. "Be not afraid of her for she was your friend." After that I cut through the main artery of her neck, ending her suffering quickly.