Chapter 26 - Maybe it wants its hand back -

Ciri wasn't there where I told her to stay, I knew that already so I looked in her room. Also, no sign of her. Later, after still not finding her I walked over to Vesemir who stirred in the glowing coals underneath the pig that was being roasted. "Have you seen Cirilla?" I asked him. He nodded. "Yeah. I saw her pounding White Gull and dancing on the table." he joked and I rolled my eyes a little. "Funny." I commented to which he only gave a hum. "I caught her spying." He said and gestured towards the halls that were open to the side of this room.

I bit the inside of my cheek and looked down at the fire. "Geralt, it's her first night here. What did you expect?" he asked with raised brows. "I was hoping she'd do as I say." I admitted. Now saying it out loud made it seem silly. "Kids never do what you say." Vesemir said with an amused smile. I grunted, seeing now that it was, in fact, true. "We had a chat, and then I sent her to bed. Are you sure you're ready for this?" He asked. I thought for a moment. "I was in a cell beneath the city when Cintra sacked. I heard it all. Fire, screams, and death. The same sounds that I heard here as a boy, hiding in the cellar, waiting for the humans to come for us. You were the last surviving Witcher after Kaer Morhen fell. You and a batch of mutated orphans with nowhere else to go. Were you ready?" I asked him, smiling in between my words.

"No." he simply said, shaking his head. "But you protected us anyway." I said. "No." he repeated. "I taught you how to fend for yourselves." he corrected and I nodded, chuckling a bit at that. The medallions on the tree started rattling and so did the one around my neck. Everyone stopped their doings in the room and looked around. Through the walls went a deep rumble and the boards in the fortress creaked. 

"Maybe Eskel's Leshy wants its hand back." Coen joked. "Wield your wits, boys." Vesemir said. "I'll secure the guests." Lambert said and walked off to do so. "I'll check the wing." , "We'll check the perimeter." , "Foll me! Get a move on!" , "Let's go!" , "Move it!" The room was suddenly hectic, yet everyone knew what do to, at least we Witchers did. "I'll find Cirilla." I said. "No." Vesemir stopped me. "Do what you do best. Stay and fight." Vesemir instructed me and I nodded having a bad feeling about not knowing where Ciri now was. First Evelyn and now Ciri.

I did what I was told to do. With a sword walking through the creaking halls and tried to find whatever caused the medallions to rattle. I figured that the source of it must come from downstairs, where I told Ciri to stay. As it seems she wasn't there anymore, trusting Vesemir's words and Ciri that she actually went to bed. I still hurried down the stairs and found the door to the examination room open slightly. Jar and bottles were thrown over, its contents leaking on the floor. 

I looked to the side and my eyes widened when I saw the whore that was with Eskel. She was trapped in a cocoon and a branch was coming out of her mouth, blood dripping from it. I slashed to the arms of a Leshy with my swords as they came in the hiding of the shelves and tables. I carefully walked further into the room and the rumbling stopped for a second. That could only mean that the Leshy was trying to get me again. Before he could do that, I sliced my sword through the elastic branches. 

Again, the sound stopped. This time more branches appeared and they attacked in a faster pattern. They broke through a wall behind a pillar and managed to trap me by the waist, my arms also being stuck. I groaned as it pulled me back with my back roughly against the pillar. I stretched my arm out as far as I could to reach the doors next to me. 

A bunch of roos came from the corner of the ceiling and landed with a groan on the ground. It mumbled my name. I finally reached the torch and used the fire on the arms of the Leshy. While screeching it let go of me. I approached it and pushed the torch into its chest. It roared and hit underneath a table. It breathed heavily and looked up at me from underneath the table. "Eskel?" I asked in disbelieve when I saw his face but covered in wood. He panted and called for me again.

He groaned yet again and rose to his feet with a low growl. He lunged at me and the first time I could dodge but the next few attacks were too fast for me to do so. I blocked them with my sword and stabbed one of the branches. He groaned which gave me a second to dodge the next attack. I rolled over the table to avoid him from grabbing me again. But he let two roots come from the wall across from me and took ahold of my wrists and pinned me against the table. My feet gave in as they grabbed them and my chest too.

"Eskel!" I growled as he approached me. He bend over and it was like he had control for a second. "I came- back here. I knew something was wrong. I don't know what happened." he said in between heavy breathing. He sliced a not very deep cut across my left shoulder. "But I thought- I thought I could fight it." He said and I could see that the control left him. "I thought-" he sliced again through the same spot making me grit my teeth. "you could help... me." he said and stood now back to his original height.

Eskel, or more like the Leshy, screeched when he got hit by an axe. An axe was thrown by Vesemir. He mumbled his name and fled from him towards the corner he originally had been sitting here, waiting for us. "What is this?" Vesemir asked as he walked over to see where he'd gone. "The Leshy's infected him." I explained as Vesemir cut through the branches that held me on my knees on the ground. "That's not possible." Vesemir mumbled.