Chapter 48 - I think the world of you -

The few rays of sunshine, which shone through the open curtains, tickled my nose. When I opened my eyes, Geralt was lying next to me. His eyes were still filled with tiredness but on his lips was a small and loving smile. "I missed waking up next to you." I mumbled and sent him a smile. Geralt huffed a laugh and inched closer and let his fingers brush over the skin of my cheek. "I thought I left you to die in Nilfgaard." he said in a low voice, almost as if he was still grieving. "You think so little of me that I can not protect myself?" I asked with a teasing grin. "I think the world of you."

I shifted to lay correctly on my side. I let my hands wander across his shoulder and chest, where I tangled a few strands of his chest hair in between my fingertips. "How did you manage? All on your own." he asked distractedly. "I'm a grown girl, Geralt. I somehow managed. It sharpened my skills, I think. Without your protective back by my side, I quickly figured out how hard it is to be completely alone in this world." He listened to every word I said, nodding in between. "I was lucky to have found Jaskier sometime later." I said with a small smile. 

"He followed me on a job - for morality purposes, I think." I laughed. Geralt tilted his head. "What kind of a job? Drowned dead?" he teased. "No," I said while rolling my eyes playfully. "A Leshy." I finished my answer. Geralt frowned and suddenly sat up, taking my shoulders and inspecting my skin. Now, I frowned. "Did it infect you? You weren't hurt, right?" he asked with a worried tone. "I did get a little scratch but besides that, I'm fine." I said and placed both my hands on his cheeks to have him look at me.

His face relaxed slightly underneath my touch. "I heard what happened to Eskel. That Leshy was a mutant. Mine looked pretty much like the ones in the book." I smiled up at him. "Eskel seemed to have forgotten that fire through the heart is the only way to kill one." Geralt mumbled. "Well, decapitating one also works." I said with a grin. "You never take the easy way, do you?" he asked. "Where would be the fun in that?" I chuckled and placed a quick kiss on his lips before getting out of bed.

I gathered my clothes, which were scattered across the room. "Come on then. We have to leave soon." I said while trying to untie the many knots or unscramble my clothes before I could put them on. Geralt sighed and got up as well. "You're right."

I already left our room to walk downstairs where the others were having breakfast already. The hall was still a bit messy but we needed to eat anyways. "Mornin'." I said with a bright tone in my voice. Lambert looked over at me and grinned. "What?" I asked as I approached him and sat next to him at the table. The other Witchers were scattered around the room. "Oh don't pretend like a few days prior you weren't sulking over where your lovey-dovey Geralt is." he teased and said that in a higher-pitched voice. "Well," I said and grabbed a bun from the basket on the table.

Lambert quickly swallowed the bite he had. "Is that so?" Geralt asked as he appeared behind me, placing a kiss on top of my head before sitting across from me. "Yeah, I-uh," I scratched my neck. "I was overthinking. I didn't know where you were and if you were still alive." I defended myself. Geralt smiled a little. "You think so little of me that I can not protect myself?" he asked with a grin. I shook my head. "Geralt, I think the world of you." I repeated his words from earlier.

Lambert started to clear his throat. "Don't pretend like you're just cute and shit. We all heard the bedframe bang against the wall." Lambert said while rolling his eyes. "Good. That's our parting gift then. Neither of you shall then forget Geralt and my delayed wedding night." I grinned. Geralt only shook his head in amusement while filling up his cup. "Hope you had fun then." Lambert said while rolling his eyes and putting a piece of bread in his mouth.

"Fun? With what?" It was Ciri's turn to join us. She sat next to Geralt. "None of your concern." Geralt simply said and Ciri shook her head with a slight grin. Perhaps she knew what was up. I think at 15 years of age she knows what's up, yes. 

"We'll be leaving after breakfast. Have you packed your things?" He asked and handed Ciri the basket full of bread. She took one and nodded. "Yes." she simply said and started to eat quietly. I kept my gaze on her. I tried to figure out something by the way her body language spoke by itself.

"Are you alright, Ciri?" I asked her. Of course, she wasn't after yesterday's events but she needed to know that she can talk to us if she needs to. She looked up at me, her green eyes were big and full of concern but her overall facial expression wouldn't have given that away. She sighed and shook her head which quickly turned into a nod. "Yes." she said after a moment of hesitation. I looked at Geralt and he gave me a simple nod.

After breakfast, we walked over to the stables. Yennefer was there already, sitting on a horse, waiting for us at a certain distance to us. "Geralt, where is Roach?" I asked as I got Amber and looked around for Roach at the same time. Geralt bit his lip as he got another horse out of its box - a black mare. "She's dead." he said. My gaze sank and I brushed over Amber's nostrils. "She got attacked and got injured badly. I'm glad Amber's alive though." he said and gestured at the old lady beside me. I smiled a little. "I hope I still have a year or two with her. She's already quite the old lady." I said before mounting her. Amber grunted a little and shook her head, making her mane fly around messily before settling on her neck again.