First Violence

January 19, 1770

Thirteen had been traveling back and forth between his father's house and the colonies, playing some strange game of diplomacy but sending his wishes to his father through Scotland, who always looked overly concerned when he saw Thirteen. Thirteen was still upset at his father, and his father was upset at him, so Thirteen hoped that by staying away, he could grant himself some peace.

It was much nicer to be with his people. They understood Thirteen better than his father did, and while some advised fixing his relationship with Father, they always understood why Thirteen wanted space. Well, most of them, that is.

It was also nice for Thirteen to be able to eat when he wanted to and get into debates without being beaten and locked away because he had a different option.

Unfortunately, that privacy and peace ended when his uncle arrived. England had been staying in Thirteen's land, having arrived after a year of Thirteen traveling back and forth. His father had sent him to ensure Thirteen didn't cause too much trouble. His uncle England stayed in Boston, mainly because Thirteen kept sneaking away from him with help from the Sons of Liberty.

Of course, Thirteen always ended up back in Boston.

Any British soldier or Tory that found him made sure Thirteen went back. It was annoying. The soldiers said that Thirteen had been assisting in causing chaos in the colonies and that he had to be supervised until he stopped. Every time that report came back from the soldiers, England would beat him until it was hard for him to move. England even threatened to break his leg to keep him from running off.

Thirteen hadn't even been doing anything that bad!

All he had been doing in New York was putting up liberty poles, as royal authorities kept destroying them. And now they had begun posting handbills that calling the Sons of Liberty "the enemies of society" like the stupid taxes they tried to enforce weren't already damaging the way society worked in Thirteen's land.

Thirteen, thankfully, was not currently stuck in Boston but was with Issac Sears, a leader of the Sons of Liberty. Issac, Thirteen, and some other men were trying to stop the soldiers from posting their handbills.

'Don't these guys have something better to do?'

"What business do you have putting Libels against the people here?" Issac said as he grabbed a soldier by the collar, forcing him to face the group.

"You Sons of Liberty are a bunch of criminals, set on tearing the colonies apart with your refusal to obey the law as any good British citizen should do." The soldier said. Thirteen scowled.

'Our people can't pay those taxes!'

'How the fuck are we supposed to pay for things if we don't have the money too.'

'Why the hell don't these soldiers try to know anything about our people?'

"Well, some people can't afford those taxes. A lot of my people are immigrants who need every pound they can get," Thirteen told the soldier, trying to keep himself from losing his temper. The soldier looked at the colony, and his eyes widened.

"Thirteen Colonies? Why are you siding with a bunch of criminals? And aren't you supposed to be in Boston?" The soldier asked.

'Bunch of criminals?'

'Oh please, the Sons of Liberty have done more for us than these soldiers had.'

'Of course we're going to side with the people helping us.'

"These people are my friends, and I'd appreciate it if you didn't call them criminals," Thirteen responded.

Issac scowled, obviously unhappy with being called a criminal, although the soldiers' broadsides made it clear they didn't like him. The soldier scoffed.