The Burning Of Gaspee

June 9, 1772

Ever since that one night in Boston, Thirteen had completely removed himself from my family. He hadn't talked to anyone since he finished recovering from the injury he didn't remember getting.

Since then, he has done a lot of thinking. England had shot him. England shot him. Thirteen didn't remember getting the injury, but he knew as soon as his memory started again that he had been shot.

The wound burned like one caused by another nation, not like a human-caused injury.

Besides, England had told Thirteen himself. He said Thirteen deserved it.

Even with all the beatings of his childhood, using actual weapons was always off the table. His father and uncle had promised them that the beatings were to fix behaviors, not cause pain.

But England shot him and then told Thirteen that it was his fault for "associating with criminals."

'He doesn't care. If he did, he wouldn't blame you for his mistake. None of the British Isles care. They never asked how you were recovering when you were injured.'

'You shouldn't even call England your uncle. Not after what happened.'

Thirteen had considered what his thoughts had suggested before accepting it. If England wanted to be his uncle again, he would have to make it up to Thirteen, and Thirteen was sure his father would agree after discovering England broke the "no weapons as punishment" rule.

Although Thirteen was distant from his family, He had taken to leaning on his thoughts for advice and forming his own opinions without the influence of his father or England.

He had been thinking over a lot of the advice that they gave him.

Looking back, a lot of the rules seemed wrong, flawed, or created in a way that would make them more easily broken. It was easier to break them than to follow them. Thirteen didn't know how he felt about that.

'Those rules were made to keep you obedient.'

'You can't expect those rules to apply now. Not after everything!'

But still, Thirteen's doubts would always creep back into his head. What if he was doing the wrong thing? What if he needed his father's guidance?

'You aren't.'

'And you don't need him. It's alright.'

Everything was confusing now. Thirteen wanted to support and help his family. It's just...

'Your family isn't supporting or helping you. So why should you?'

Thirteen shouldn't support them if they wouldn't listen to him. Thirteen still loved them, but he had to show them that his support wouldn't be unconditional, especially if supporting them hurt him.

'Yes! Don't worry about hurting your family with this. They never cared about hurting you with those taxes. And the soldiers.'

'And England didn't seem to care when he hurt you.'

Thirteen didn't want to hurt his family. Not at all. He just wanted...

He wanted to be listened to. He wanted to be his people, not just his colonies. He wanted to be a little more self-reliant and less dependent on his father.

Was that unhealthy? Being reliant on someone who could do whatever he wanted to Thirteen and his people?

Thirteen wants to remain a part of his father's empire because it's incredibly beneficial for Thirteen. Thirteen just want his father to be more willing to listen to him. Thirteen couldn't continue to be ignored while his people suffered because his father placed unfair taxes that my people couldn't pay, while soldiers attacked his people and killed them.