Take The Fort

May 10, 1775

Sieges were boring. Thirteen knew they were an essential part of warfare and could be the difference between victory and defeat, but they were boring. You sat there for who knows how long, waiting for your enemy to just give up and turn tail.

Boring.

It was part of why Thirteen decided to tag along with Benedict Arnold and his plan to gather troops and take Fort Ticonderoga. It seemed more interesting than sitting around waiting for the siege at Boston to break or listening to his congress argue over independence or reconciliation.

Even Thirteen didn't know what he wanted when it came to that decision, so he resolved to try and stay out of it for now. Thirteen knew he would have to visit Congress at some point, but the longer he could distract himself from politics, the better.

'I don't know if that will be for the best.'

'Yeah, our future is being decided, and we are just...not there for it. Why isn't that more concerning to you?'

His thoughts were right. Maybe Thirteen should be more concerned about the decisions that were being made about his future without me there. But it's not like it's a new experience for him.

'But now you can make them listen to your opinions more!'

Even if they listened, which humans rarely do, Thirteen wasn't sure of his opinions. Even if he fought alongside the so-called rebels, the Patriots, Thirteen still held love and affection for his father and family back on his father's island, and Thirteen wasn't sure if he could let that go. If he even wanted to let that go.

"You look lost in your thoughts again," Ethan said beside Thirteen. The colony smiled wryly at the leader of the Green Mountain Boys, trying not to appear as tired as he felt.

"I have a lot to think about, especially with everyone so divided nowadays, as I'm sure you've seen," Thirteen said, raising an eyebrow and thinking back to the many fights Ethan and Benedict had had over who was going to be the leader of this raid on Fort Ticonderoga.

"My Mountain Boys would not have followed Arnold. It's not my fault he's stubborn." Ethan said in defense. Thirteen laughed softly.

"I'm well aware. The Green Mountain Boys are very loyal. You're lucky to have them. I'm lucky to have them," Thirteen said. Ethan looked ecstatic, as most humans tend to do when the land compliments them.

Humans were just as fascinated by countryhumans as countryhumans were with them, huh?

"I hope we can live up to your expectations, America," Ethan said. Thirteen smiled.

"I'm sure you will," He said before looking back out over the river, biting his lip as he noticed the boat still hadn't arrived. Hopefully, they hadn't been caught, although Thirteen couldn't imagine why they would have. After all, the conflict between his father and him had been contained to Massachusetts. Who was expecting a bunch of "rebels" at Fort Ticonderoga?

'Don't get cocky though. Who knows how paranoid we've made the British?'

'That's not helpful.'

Trying to push aside his anxiety, Thirteen began fidgeting with his buttons. His father hated it when he did that, so it was very satisfying to do it when he wasn't around, as Thirteen's own little personal act of rebellion—a very safe kind of rebellion. It was something that Thirteen would still be able to do even if this all came crashing down around him.

Thirteen could only hope everything comes to a resolution soon. He hated feeling this conflicted, feeling like he was being pulled in two different directions, each side with its own appeal and draw.