The Time To Unite

September 5, 1774

Carpenters' Hall, Philadelphia. The place where twelve of the thirteen colonies would meet to present unified action against the recent British abuses of power. Thirteen wished all thirteen colonies had sent delegates, but he understood Georgia's reason for not coming. They had a war with the Indians to deal with and couldn't risk losing British support if they needed it.

Thirteen pushed the thoughts of Georgia and their troubles out of his mind. He wasn't here to think about Georgia's troubles. Thirteen was here to help the delegates give a unified response to the British. It was a bit nerve-wracking. This is the first time the colonies are genuinely going to unite on an issue. This hadn't happened before, and Thirteen was nervous about how it would turn out.

'It'll be fine.'

'Most of the colonies have the same goals in the end. Regardless of what debates happen, we still have a common goal.'

'But the Albany Plan of Union failed. What if this fails too?'

Thirteen shook the negative thoughts out of his head. Now wasn't the time to be dealing with them. He had a job to do. Thirteen walked into the building, looking around to see if he recognized anyone besides the Massachusetts delegates he had met in Boston.

Thirteen saw Colonel Washington out of the corner of his eye and turned toward him. There was at least one familiar face, which helped Thirteen's anxiety slightly. Thirteen walked into the meeting room and stood in the back. The seats were organized by colony, and since Thirteen was all the colonies, he didn't pick one to sit in.

Standing in the back also let him observe the Continental Congress better. Thirteen wanted to be able to see everything that was going on.

'I hope this doesn't end badly...'

Thirteen watched as everyone began making their way to their seats and felt his nervousness grow. He pushed it down. Now wasn't the time to be nervous. Thirteen had things to take care of. Hopefully, whatever conclusion this Congress made, his father and England listened to what Thirteen's people had to say.

Hopefully, his people could find something to agree on.

——————————————

It was the second day of the Congress, and they were already lost on what to do. No one seemed to know where to start, and Thirteen saw several delegates continuing to look back at him. It made Thirteen feel weird. He's not used to his presence being a big deal to people. After all, he was a colony, not a world power like Britain.

Suddenly, a man stood up and began speaking. He talked about the wrongs Thirteen's people have suffered because of the acts of the Parliament. He said that all the governments in America were dissolved and that the colonies were in a state of nature.

He said this Congress was the first of a long series of Congresses. He talked about how he was worried the decisions here would form a precedent. He argued for representation according to population.

"What about the smaller colonies? If representation is according to population, the larger colonies can project their influence, while the smaller colonies will lose their voice." Someone countered.

His response was something that Thirteen knew he would never forget.

"British oppression has effaced the boundaries of the several colonies; the distinctions between Virginians, Pennsylvanians, and New Englanders are no more. I am not a Virginian but an American."

Thirteen smiled at that. That line was the most important thing this man had said. It was a call to unite, not to let the colony someone came from deny them the ability to get along with the other American colonies.