The Ride, The Battle, The Retreat

February 20, 1775

Thirteen Colonies' people had sent many petitions to Britain and his Parliament after the passing of the Coercive Act. They were the standard kinds of Petitions, although one worried Britain, the one from that new "Congress" Thirteen Colonies and his people had created.

The wording itself wasn't all that concerning, but the "Congress" it had come from was. Thirteen Colonies had never been able to unite all the different colonies that made him up under one government before. He had certainly tried but always failed.

That was part of what made him so easy to manipulate and control. With all the deferring opinions and ideas, Thirteen Colonies could never just pick one colony to side with or one opinion to have. Britain was the only person who could control them all, leaving Thirteen Colonies reliant on him for stability and his opinions.

But now, he was trying to wrangle his colonies together and unite them, allowing him to make significant decisions that would affect all of his colonies by himself. It was dangerous. The benefit was that it was an extralegal organization with no legal power.

But it did have symbolic power. That was far more dangerous.

And now Parliament wanted Britain to consider these petitions and devise a compromise with his son. Trying to come up with a peaceful settlement with Thirteen Colonies was hard. Not only was having to compromise with his son, who should be completely obedient, embarrassing, but Britain also had people like William Pitt trying to give Thirteen Colonies more than he deserved.

First, he wanted Thirteen Colonies to have colonial self-government. That idea was shot down immediately. Britain's son, especially with his recent behavior, was not worthy of self-government. Not to mention, he's Britain's colony. Britain controls him, his beliefs, and his actions—not him and certainly not anyone else.

Pitt's second proposal was to remove the troops from Boston, which was also shot down. The troops were needed in Boston, even more so now that they had to declare Massachusetts in open rebellion a few days after that proposal, on the second of February. Pitt's last proposal was a plan of conciliation based on mutual concessions. Britain also shot that one down, as they would not give in to most of Thirteen Colonies' and his people's wishes. That would give him more ideas and encourage the idea that he should govern himself.

Thankfully, they had come to a reasonable conclusion with a compromise, this one proposed by Lord North. The compromise was really quite similar, and one Britain was sure his son and other colonies like Nova Scotia, whom his son was attempting to pull into his misbehavior, would accept.

The Resolution declared that any colony that contributed to the common defense supported the civil government and the administration of justice, and opposed any rebellions that appeared would be relieved of paying taxes or duties except those necessary for the regulation of commerce. With all Thirteen Colonies complaining about taxes, this was a sure way to keep them under Britain's control.

"Are we sure that the colonies will accept this? Massachusetts is a part of the Thirteen Colonies, and it might influence the personification to turn the other colonies against us." A worried statesman, whose face Britain couldn't identify, questioned as the explicit details of that resolution were carried out.

"Massachusetts is one of thirteen. We made an example of that colony. The others might have their extralegal temporary 'congress,' but that Congress also wants to make peace with us, for the most part, at least. I believe getting rid of it will benefit my son in the long run. We just have to take care of Massachusetts first. The other colonies will keep Thirteen in line. If not...Well, I have ways to make him behave. Like martial law. If that is needed, it will keep Thirteen from having any rebellious thoughts and make him more docile overall." Britain said, remembering the last time he had been under martial law.