Chapter 39: The Serpent And The Apple

Beauatiful Chaos 🥀

Chapter  39: The Serpent and the Apple 🍎

"The only thing that burns in hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life: your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away, but they're not punishing you, they're freeing your soul. If you're frightened of dying and you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. If you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels freeing you from the earth."

From the film, Jacob's Ladder

"One for the money

Two for show

I love you, honey 

I'm ready, I'm ready to go

How did you get that way?

I don't know

You're screwed up and brilliant

And look like a million dollar man 

So, why is my heart broke?..."

-Lana Del Rey

Arthur had been horribly abused his entire life since he was only a small boy and he did not have the proper love, support, affection and protection that a child should have. The one person who was supposed to keep him safe, and make him feel safe, left him alone to fend for himself through horrific fear and abuse.

He could never tell Iris the horrors that had taken place because he still didn't remember them all clearly, but most of all because he knew it would crush her. She just has so much empathy and loves him more than he can even comprehend and he just didn't want to do that to her.

Arthur only read that terrifying file, full of the sicking truth of his past, and the could see the very reason for him being the way he was and all of his issues. It made him have one of the worst episodes of nerve wracking laughter in his entire life.

He ran out of Arkham that night, almost falling to the ground outside in the rain. He felt his heart jump repeatedly in his chest and make him and he kept thinking about how his mother was all he had, but she was false just like everyone else. There was no one anymore. Arthur was truly alone.