Chapter 59: The Park

Beautiful Chaos 🌹

Chapter 59:

Every step that Iris took almost felt as though someone else was walking somewhere near her

Every step that Iris took almost felt as though someone else was walking somewhere near her. Perhaps, someone was indeed taking every step with her. It just may be somewhere that is not in sight. Distantly, near...

Dead, damp leaves crunched beneath her feet as she walked and she found herself feeling a painful loneliness sting her heart and she wished she had a warm hand to grasp hers

Dead, damp leaves crunched beneath her feet as she walked and she found herself feeling a painful loneliness sting her heart and she wished she had a warm hand to grasp hers. She almost felt as though a force, unknown to her, was willing her forward, as if she had to make it to that bridge.

The winds suddenly became harsher and colder, as Iris turned to glance behind her another time, to see if anyone, or anything, was behind her, but still...nothing. Rats often ran about the park at night, but she didn't even see them tonight, which was odd. Maybe even the rats felt an unknown presence.

Iris took the Bridal path most of the way, but took a left on 65th. She cut through the empty playground, passed through the vacant amusement park and finally approached the Gotham Park pond. She stopped to light another cigarette as she now came upon the Batstow bridge. She drew nearer and nearer to the bridge itself, and it suddenly began to sprinkle rain.

"Fuck", she cursed, as she walked faster, as though She was about to turn around to start walking back, but when she she saw the bridge from a closer view, she stopped for a moment. She felt like she was being tugged, as if a small child was pulling on her sleeve to make her continue forward.

It was rather dark and hard to see much, but she swore she could see a figure of a person in the distance, as she drew now closer. She heard someone coughing and it was definitely a man, but he sounded like he was in some distress or pain.

It looked like nothing but a thin black figure behind the brightness of the street lights, but it made her nervous, nonetheless, for various reasons. It was after 4:00 a.m. now and she knew it was not a good time to be here, alone...in the dark....