Chapter 9

Rameen

The incident on the Paraswani site had gotten the attention of the media. Within a few hours, the news of the incident had been running on all of the leading news channels. It wouldn't have been this bad if there would not have been casualties.

Arham and I were getting calls constantly from journalists asking about the incident. After a couple of hours, the arson incident had also resurfaced and was being discussed on the television channels. The situation we had been trying to avoid, had caught up with us and it was worse than I had imagined.

I had made sure that every injured worker was taken to the best hospital and was given immediate treatment and was constantly praying for the recovery of those workers who were in critical condition. I had never imagined something like this could happen, the way things work these days. These news channels will have their trials and declare us guilty for being insensitive towards our workers even before the legal investigation started.

Waleed had returned by night, he had used his sources to pull down the news from many channels but it had been too late. The damage to the reputation of our firm had already been done. It had taken more than a week for everything to die down. Still, I would notice some journalists lurking around our office, harassing our employees to gain inside information.

Waleed had hired an investigator and he had started working on finding the culprit behind these incidents. We knew that it would not be easy for him to find anything easily because whoever was behind this must be influential and it won't be easy to find him out.

A couple more weeks passed, Waleed had made sure to stay in Panaji during these weeks. He has gone through all the safety measures installed on every site we were working on personally. The police and the private investigator were investigating both the incidents and all we could do in the meantime was to wait for the results.

Shahwar and Rushna had been insisting a lot on us for joining them in Bali. Though we both were not in a mood to leave the firm in someone else's hand in the current situation, we couldn't decline them. Arham and Tariq had assured us they would take care of the firm while we were away for a week.

Waleed was not satisfied, but he had agreed when Shahwar had threatened to sever ties with us. Sometimes, Shahwar and Rushna acted too dramatic. Waleed had told Shahwar that we won't be able to spare a week, but we would join them a day before their anniversary and stay for the remaining two days after it.

I had avoided traveling since I had gotten pregnant with Abdullah. It was a nightmare to travel with kids. Though the nannies were a blessing still, I avoided traveling as much as I could. We had a late-night flight for Bali and by the time we reached the resort, it was morning.

Shahwar and Rushna had invited a lot of guests, both their business and personal acquaintances. They had booked the complete resort for a week for this purpose. We met Shahwar at the reception, he was speaking with a couple of men. They all were dressed up and we're ready to leave.

"Hey Waleed, I thought you might ditch us," Shahwar looked delighted to see us.

"I don't think you would have allowed me to see another sunrise if I won't have joined you," Waleed hugged him.

I was carrying Abdullah, while Maria carried Abeer and Shahana was holding Ahad. I handed over Abdullah to Samantha and greeted Rushna who entered the reception from the restaurant at the back.

"Mia," she cried in delight as she saw me.

"Rushna," I hugged her giving a peck on her cheek.

I was meeting Rushna for the first time after Abdullah's birth. She had gotten more boisterous in the last year. Sheema and Rania hated her guts. They had met her only once at one of my wedding anniversary parties. Rushna was nice until she started flaunting her husband's wealth.