Chapter 16

Waleed

I looked at my cell in worry. Mia had just hung up on me. I could sense the distress in her voice, something was bothering her, and I wouldn't stop until I learned it. The reason I came to Singapore turned out to be a misunderstanding.

The Manager of Sapphire Bay was not skimming any profits. He was a loyal man. The accountant whom he had fired was the one responsible for the discrepancy. I had spent the whole evening and a significant part of the night going through the books with the Manager and my CA. We had found nothing against the Manager.

I was still in my workout clothes after finishing the gym workout. I inquired about the next flight to Bali, and thankfully it was in two hours. I showered and got dressed, and left for the Airport.

When I landed in Bali, I got notifications of hundreds of missed calls and text messages. The calls were from all around the world. I was taken by surprise. Was there something I didn't know about?

I went through the immigration process, and when I walked out of the airport, I was shocked to find Mia waiting for me. The moment her eyes found me, she ran towards me, slammed into my chest, hugging me. What was wrong? Why was Mia there?

"Oh, thank God, you are okay. I was so worried about you," she said, lifting her head from my chest and looking into my eyes.

Mia appeared to have cried; her eyes were red and swollen, and her nose and cheeks were tainted.

"You okay?" I inquired, worried.

"I was so worried about you," she fisted my jacket, unwilling to let go. 

"What happened, baby?" I was worried about her weird behavior.

"Don't you know?" She was startled.

"What?"

"A bomb blast occurred at Sapphire Bay," she replied.

I felt like it was not the hotel where the bomb blast had occurred, but the explosion happened in my mind. What the hell was happening with our business?

"Wali, Wali, are you okay?" Mia's voice pulled me out of my thoughts.

"I am okay, Mia," I replied with a fake smile.

It hit me that if Mia didn't behave weirdly on our last call, I might not have boarded the next flight and would have been at Sapphire Bay when the blast had occurred. It would have been the last time I would have spoken to her.

I wrapped my arms around her and pulled her into me. She was the most important person in my life, more than the kids. Mia was my life, and I couldn't even imagine hurting her ever. If I would have died today, Mia would have been alone with the kids.

"Where are the kids?" I asked her suddenly.

"They are back at the hotel, Shahwar, and Rushna assured to keep an eye on them," she replied.

"I don't want to leave you guys alone ever again," I was not sure how I would manage it, but suddenly I had gotten the feeling we weren't safe.

"I don't want you to go anywhere, either. After what happened today, I can't imagine letting you go on any business trip. I was so scared, Waleed, I thought I had lost you," her eyes moistened again.

I couldn't tolerate a single tear in her eyes. There was nothing more I wanted but to end the reason for her hurt. Whoever that person was, trying to sabotage our business, would soon pay for it.

"Let's go back to the resort," I pulled her to my side and made my way to the car.

"Is Leonardo Bianchi in Bali?" I asked Mia.