Chapter 19

Leonardo

Eleonora stared at me with longing in her eyes as I tied the knot of my tie. I looked at her through the dresser's mirror while she stared at my back. She was sitting on the couch in our bedroom with her feet on the coffee table. Eleonora was heavily pregnant, and only a few days remained before her due date.

I looked at her swollen belly and couldn't stop my heart from swelling with joy. Eleonora was pregnant with my child. In just mere days, our daughter will be with us, and I couldn't wait to hold her in my arms.

"I will be back before you know it," I told her.

She gave me a sad smile. I knew she hated being away from me, and I preferred to keep her at my side at all times, but right then, she couldn't fly in her condition.

"I don't want you to go," she said, depressed.

"I will have dinner with you tomorrow," I said, facing her after I had been satisfied with the knot.

"Leo, do you love me?" She asked.

I looked at her, startled. She was acting differently today. I took a few long strides and covered the distance between us. Leaning on her, I captured her pretty mouth into a kiss.

"You know, I only have eyes for you," I said, pulling away, but Eleanora pulled me back in a deep kiss, holding my tie. There was an urgency in her kiss, like she wanted to savor it and etch it in her memory.

"Hey, what happened?" I asked, cupping her face after pulling from her.

"I love you, Leo," she whispered.

"I love you, too, dolcezza, " I replied.

My eyes searched her face; something was off with her, and I couldn't understand it. Something was eating her up, but she didn't want to tell me.

"What is it?" I asked her gently.

"I don't know, Leo," she said," I don't know what is the matter with me. I feel like I am going to lose you," her eyes moistened.

"Hey, I will never leave you. I can't even think of anyone else than you," I looked into her eyes and said.

"I know, Leo, but I don't know why I am getting this feeling that something dreadful will happen. Please don't go, Leo, stay with me. I don't want you out of my sight even for a second," she said stubbornly.

"Nothing is going to happen to me,
baby. Everything will be fine. I will try to fly back the moment the meeting ends," I consoled her.

It was her hormones that might have her at the edge. It was the first child we were expecting. We had been married for two years, and before that, she had pursued me for a year until I had no choice but to accept her advances.

My priority always had been my business; women were the last thing on my mind. I had met Eleonora at a party, and since then, she had made sure to be present wherever I went. I ignored her advances initially; though it had been difficult, I always had prided myself on my resolve.

I would have ignored her if she hadn't jumped off a cliff, and that day had been a nightmare for me. It was her parent's anniversary celebration. Her father was an Italian media mogul, and they were celebrating their twenty-fifth anniversary at their mansion on a private island in Greece.

He had invited me specifically, and though I was reluctant to go because of Eleonora, I knew that offending her father would be a stupid move. I arrived at the island a night before the party, as did the other hundred guests.

I was taking a run in the morning when Eleonora followed me. I knew that it wasn't going to turn out well. She had been trying for months to corner me and had finally succeeded. It wasn't like I wasn't attracted to her, but I didn't want to marry a spoiled heiress. She was everything that I didn't want in my wife.