Chapter 3

Rameen

I was busy going through the designs of the mall our firm was working on when my secretary informed me of Ali's arrival. I was surprised that he had come to the office today. Usually, he visited me at home so he could get to see the kids too. I asked my secretary to send him in.

Ali came inside after a few moments, greeting me he asked, " How are you, Mia?"

"What brings you here?" I asked, arching my brow.

"Can't I visit my sista," Ali replied annoyed.

I didn't know what to reply to him when he was in an awful mood already. He was going through a rough patch in his life. He had met a German girl in the US, they both had fallen in love and were in an on-off relationship for the last five years. Ali had proposed, her a few months back and she had expected his proposal. Now, Ali was trying to think of a way he could break the news of the engagement to our family so that it won't break their hearts.

I was doubtful if mom and aunt were going to accept his engagement with a German girl easily. They will start the same old drama that Gori mem (White lady) had trapped their innocent boy. Aunt had warned Ali a million times before he was going to the US to not bring a white daughter in law for her from the US. It seemed fate had got different plans for Ali, poor boy. My heart goes out to him.

"You still didn't break the news?" I asked.

"Nope," he replied, making a popping sound for the letter 'p'.

"Why?"

"They are insisting me to accept the marriage proposal of uncle Farhan's daughter," he replied with a wearied expression.

Ohh my, that was bad news. I agree uncle Farhan's daughter Alishaba was nice but Ali was not in love with her. I need to do something for him, I don't think he can handle the situation all by himself.

"Have you tried talking to Dad and Chachu?"

"Nope," came the reply with the irritating sound.

"What do you think will happen if I just go and tell them now?" Ali asked.

"Well, a tsunami. You know how much aunt is touchy about this subject. Couldn't you fall in love with an Indian girl?" I glared at him.

"Like you chose to fall in love with Waleed?" Ali taunted.

"Come on, we were already married, when I fell in love with him," I rolled my eyes.

It felt really sad to see Ali like this, he was my best friend and I wanted to help him with this, but I knew this was not going to be easy. The women in our families won't agree at all. This was something I don't think they will let go easily.

"I need to leave for a meeting, can you come over for dinner? Kids and Waleed will be delighted," I asked him looking at my wristwatch.

"Naah, I need to go out with friends and blow some steam," Ali said standing from the chair.

Ali and I left my office together, Waleed was out of town and was going to return in the evening. Our son Abdullah was two months old now. I joined the office twenty days ago. I still didn't want to be back so early, and wanted to spend more time with Abdullah, but it was getting difficult for Waleed to manage everything alone.

He was busy with our hotel and resort chain, he had expanded the business phenomenally. I had to take over the consultancy firm. It had not been easy for me to manage it at the start. I didn't have any experience in management but Waleed taught me each and everything personally. He was at my side until I had learned everything well.