Chapter 40

They stayed wrapped in each other's warm embrace as the rain poured down on them for a while. They felt a type of happiness you only feel when you're exactly where you're meant to be, with the person you're meant to be with.

"Look, let's skip the party. Let's go back to the apartment and pack some things for a few days and go back to Paris. Let's go back to where it all started," Adrien said as he held both her hands and looked deep into her eyes with a pleading look in his.

"No, no, we can't do that what about school? Or our friends?" Marinette questioned, suddenly wary of all the rain pouring down on them.

"The first week of university doesn't matter anyway, it's just freshers week and class introductions and it's not like you're that hyped about parties and getting blackout drunk anyways," Adrien explained and Marinette nodded along.

"That's all true I guess."

"And we can just send the guys a message or leave a note in the apartment before we leave or just leave and hope they don't kill us when we get back," Adrien continued to explain, "Before you say no, think about it. There are no bad outcomes of this."

Marinette stared at the floor and traced Adrien's hands with her fingers as she pondered over her decision, "Okay. Fine. Let's do it!"

"Yes!" Adrien laughed as he picked her up and spun her in circles under the rain in the middle of the street.

As they giggled in the road a car with its bright headlights pulled behind them, honking loudly, and they held hands as they ran down the streets towards the apartment.

"Once we're inside get your phone out and book us the next tickets. I'll pack bags. Got it?" Marinette called to him as they ran down the streets, the water on the road splashing all over their legs.

"Got it, boss!" he giggled and Mari slapped his arm slightly as they ran up to the door.

They unlocked it and ran up the stairs to the apartment, Marinette running straight to her room to pack while Adrien sat at the table at searched for flights on his phone.

"There's a direct flight to Paris leaving in three hours?" Adrien shouted through the hallway.

"Perfect! Book it!" Marinette yelled back as she threw things into her suitcase.

Adrien bought them two tickets and ripped a piece of paper out of his notebook to begin writing a letter to leave in the apartment, "What should I put on the letter?"

"Just that we're going to be away for a week or so and we'll be back later. Don't go too into detail though because then I'll have to explain everything to Alya and I can't be bothered to explain everything just yet. I want to feel spontaneous," Marinette said as she dragged her suitcase into the kitchen and kissed him on the cheek, "I'm gonna pack you're bag now."

Adrien started scribbling down words on the paper, briefly explaining that they were leaving for a trip and they'd be back in a week. Saying they're not going to really be on phones so there was no point in messaging but they'd explain everything properly when they got back. After signing off the letter and placing it in the middle of the table, he ran and helped Mari finishing the packing of the bags.

"Can you grab the passports from the third draw in the kitchen, kitty?" Mari asked as she placed clothes into his suitcase.

Adrien blushed at the casual drop of the nickname and searched through the kitchen drawers until he came across everyone's passports kept together. He pulled out his and Marinette's and placed them in the purse that she had left on top of her suitcase that leant against the kitchen table.

"Passports in the purse and boarding passes are on phones. I've already sent you yours," Adrien said to Mari as she walked out of his bedroom, pulling his suitcase behind her.

"All done!" she called joyfully.

"Clothes? Hygiene things? Electronics? Ladybug suit?" Adrien questioned as he watched her do a happy dance in the hallway.

"Yep! Yep! Yep and ye- wait what?" Marinette said as she stopped dancing, "Ladybug suit?"

"We're going back to the circus. You're going to need the suit."

Marinette laughed and did another happy dance as she went back into her room which caused Adrien to let out a small giggle as he watched her. Mari took the frame off the wall and removed the back. She pulled out the suit and mask and stared at it for a minute as she reminisced on everything that happened at the circus; her happy place.

Marinette ran out of her room, suit in hand, and placed the mask on her face, "Hey kitty."

"Ladybug's back?" Adrien said as he looked her up and down and relaxed back in his chair.

"Stop that!" she squealed with a laugh as she threw the suit in his face and he dramatically frowned at her.

"Hey! I'm just admiring what's mine," Adrien said with a smirk.

"Just because we're together, it doesn't mean I'm yours. I'm my own person, Agreste," she said as she joined him by the table and gave him a quick peck on the lips, "Now, let's go we have a plane to catch!"

Marinette grabbed her suitcase and threw her purse over her shoulder, a happy spring in her step as she did. Adrien intertwined his fingers with hers and grabbed his suitcase as well and they made their way to the airport. Marinette's heels tapped on the wet stone of the pavement and the suitcases splashed mud all over their calves. 

"Taxi!" Adrien yelled once they reached the main street and eventually a deep yellow car pulled up next to them.

They put the suitcases into the boot of the car and slipped into the back seats together, smiles wide as they squeezed each other's hands and excitement grew within them. Adrien tucked a strand of hair that fell out of her ponytail behind her ear and cupped her cheek.

"I'm so glad I met you," he whispered into her ear, repeating the loving quote that Mari had said to him so many times before.

"I'm the one who's glad, Agreste."